Ripped off

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by kuan, Sep 20, 2001.

1. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    <vent>
    I'm not one who normally badmouths anyone in the restaurant industry, but sometimes, things just need to be said. I'm not going to name the particular restaurant, but I am going to say much except that this is a restaurant in a Chicago West suburb which had received good publicity in the local and a national publication.

I'm gonna summarize my experience like this:

1) Don't tell me the Campbell's soup is sauce

2) $12 is a bit much for Uncle Ben's Spanish rice mix don't you think?

3) Never, ever underestimate the intelligence of your customer

</vent>

Kuan

2. w.debord

w.debord

I don't think theirs anything wrong in mentioning the name of that restaurant. You might save me money I might waste there or clue in an employee that could be reading here that they need to wake up. After all isn't alot of whats posted here about opinion and advise?

3. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I think she's right Kuan. In fact, withholding the name may make you an enabler :)

4. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    An ENABLER! ;) Okay folks, the Restaurant where I had dinner was called Granada. It's located in Geneva, Ilinois.

I felt that there was a lack of honesty in that establishment. There's nothing wrong with Uncle Ben's rice mix, if you're a cafeteria :) Those who have spoken to me about my outlook on food and restaurants will tell you that I have a penchant for what I call "honest food." That is, food which is properly prepared, without much fanfare, and which does not try to be what it is not. This was so anti-honest that my wife and I left the restaurant and headed to the Colonial Pantry for a Milkshake.

Kuan (no longer an enabler)

5. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I'm glad that you have mended your ways. It sounds as though you think the same was Tom Collichio (sp) does. His new restaurant, Craft, is supposedly all about the food. Very straight forward preparation of the best available ingredients. He expresses thes thoughts in Think Like a Chef. It's one of the first books that I didn't head straight for the recipes, but actually read.

6. mofo1

mofo1

I agree with you guys. I like food prepared right. As simple as possible. That is too bad, kuan. It really irritates when I get Uncle Ben's rice or Knorr hollandaise or (obviously) canned soup in a restaurant that should do better.