Ringing in the Ears

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by maxs, Dec 11, 2016.

1. maxs

maxs

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    All these years of working in restaurant kitchens are ruining my ears I fear. Can't be sure, but I think my tinnitus (ringing in the ears) has been caused by kitchen noise. In my current place, the expediter (on the cooks side of the pass) yells ORDER UP! at the top of his lungs every minute in a half right next to my head. Not to mention the vent hood, dish machine, clanging pots, clanging plates, and boom box on 11 during cleanup at night's end. Anybody else getting the ringing?

2. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My doctor tells me the ringing is because I spent to much time at the Fillmore.

3. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Lol.

East or West?

Some medications can cause this ringing.

Aspirin is one.

mimi

4. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    West.

5. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Does it go away when you leave, or is this a 24/7 thing.  If the later welcome to the world of TINNITUS - it sucks, but it comes from years of exposure to noise.  

6. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That is what the doctors say.  I think they don't know what causes it.  The doctors don't know how to cure it.

7. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I just turn the music up.

8. jay lancaster

jay lancaster

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    My ringing came from my youth...years of shooting guns (I'm a country boy) before ear protection became popular, and riding loud tractors for nearly 20 years (my dad was a farmer).  

Diagnosed with high frequency hearing loss as a pre-teen.  I can hear fine, but high pitched noises get lost...all except for the constant ringing.  

Sucks, huh?