rice pudding, switch from oven to pressure cooker

Joined Feb 4, 2005
My mother always made rice pudding and i know her recipe but now found the wonder of instant pot was wondering how can this recipe be adapted for it. I have filling everything can be added to instant pot at once and just cooked but not sure how starting with raw rice would change this. Would using pressure cook or rice setting be best figure someone must have tried this.

1 cup cooked rice, 1 cup milk, 1 can evaporated milk, 2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla, 1.5 cup sugar. Cook in oven at 350 for 50 - 60 minutes.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
You'll have less evaporation and higher heat transfer rate in the instant pot. I know when I cook risotto in the pressure cooker, it's only 6 minutes at 15 pounds of pressure.

I don't have any more concrete recommendations than that.

Joined Nov 27, 2012
I would stick to already cooked rice always.
raw rice will throw the liquid ratio way out of balance and you'll get a starchy mess I think.
But then again my rice pudding experience is all in arroz con leche and that's a completely different beast.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
What I found looking around online, goes like this (many different recipes that are all the same). Put 1 cup rinsed rice and 1 cup water in the cooker. Process 5 minutes. Natural release 10 minutes, then depressurize. Add all the remaining ingredients and stir well. Put cooker on saité and cook until thickish. Shut off and remove. It'll get thicker as it cools.

Latest posts

Top Bottom