Chef Forum banner

Rice help

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Mischief 
#1 ·
Questions for you all who have experience serving rice in restaurant.

Best or proper way to hold? Currently we just in steam table but obviously just turns all gummy. How do you guys hold rice for dishes that use it?

I've been to Persian or Mediterranean restaurants that sell high volume of rice and curious how they hold or cook it. Seems always so fluffy and grains separate. I prefer basmati over Jasmin as I think it's somewhat better for this? Thanks

#2 ·
The cooking of rice under different traditions is a book by itself! In some cultures fat is involved to prevent rice from sticking but that's a different topic. Switching back to holding, I use two approaches:

- Keep the large pot on very low heat, covered, then fork the quantity needed, separating the grains. Fastest but the bottom of the pan will be soggy/burnt so bearn in mind when planning quantities

- Immediately cool your cooked rice (e.g. blast chiller). Then reheat each portion in the microwave (30 seconds) or in a steam oven for a larger batch. Very easy and predictable

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.