Chef Forum banner

Rice cooker hot hold temperature

8K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  someday 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I’ve bought two different commercial rice cookers recently under the illusion that they would cook and then hold my rice at a legal temperature for serving.
It turns out that the keep warm feature only provides enough heat to keep the rice falling below 63°C for a few hours. I’m not sure why a commercial rice cooker wouldn’t provide a comparable heat source to a Bain Marie. Does anyone have any ideas? I don’t want to transfer 20 litres of rice to a Bain Marie as I simply dont have the space in my little catering van.

#2 ·
Best thing for holding rice are the Cambro hot boxes. You can keep rice, pasta, mashed pots hot for well over 3 hours in those sweat boxes with no damage whatsoever. I know this because I did just that for well over 10 years.

A steam table will dry out and crust up the rice in Under an hour--regardless of how many layers of silicone paper, towels, or doubled up inserts you use.

The commercial rice cookers--20 cups and up, keep the rice good and hot for a few hours, but you will get a scorched "rice cake" on the bottom of the pan, but other than that no damage.

Hope this helps....

#7 ·
How long do you need or expect to be able to hold rice hot for service? More than a "few" hours? Isn't that unreasonable?

Your best bet might just be batch cooking...doing 1 batch at the start of service and another partway through. If your service lasts long enough that you need to hold rice hot for longer than a "few" hours you should be cooking another batch anyways to maintain quality.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see this was from a few years ago. Glad you found something that worked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.