Rice Cooker for Beans?

Joined May 22, 2016
Anybody use their larger rice cookers for doing beans from dried? We use a couple of the 8 qt instant pots (they do a great job, and not expensive if one fails), but we also have a 60 cup Rice Master that could yield 3x what one of these will, assuming the results would be similar. There are no pressure or time settings, just cook, hold, off, and of course different beans require drastically different times...
Anybody have any experience doing this? Just want to get some insight before we do a "test run"!
Thanks!

Joined May 25, 2015
The instructions for ours warns against using it for anything but rice, particularly not beans. Don't know why and I don't want to find out.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
I'd be willing to bet real money that they say no beans simply because they don't want to listen to a bunch of stupid complaints from people who can't cook in the first place or do something really thoughtless. But it's easy enough to email them and ask why. On the other hand, it's an electric device with a heating unit. It doesn't know what it's cooking. I think if you ratio the beans to water correctly and keep an eye on it, you should be fine. Water and rice/water and beans. I can't see a difference.
So they say no beans. you do it anyway and ruin the cooker somehow. Don't complain. Suck it up and buy a new one.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
A rice cooker works on temperature basis to know when water is evaporated. When temperature starts to raise above 212, water is gone and if a correct water to rice ratio was used then rice will be done. Not really applicable to bean cookery, so no real advantage to using rice cooker and the cons actually exceed the pros.

Latest posts

Top Bottom