Ribeye Marinade

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by ryaanh, Jan 10, 2019.

1. ryaanh

ryaanh

Exp:
    Restaurant Waiter
    Anyone ever incorporate Hoison into a steak marinade? And if so what did you use?

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    No. More sugars than I want in steak marinade as the best steak cooking methods will burn those sugars.

french fries and sgsvirgil like this.
  3. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Mai Pham of Lemon Grass Restaurant uses oyster sauce in her Thai cowboy steak marinade. You might check it out if you wanted an Asian influenced marinade. Korean marinades for kalbi and bulgogi might also give you some ideas.

4. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    You would probably do better to create a dipping sauce rather than a marinade. Marinades do not do what most people think they do. They do not penetrate the meat and in most cases, especially when acidic ingredients are used in the marinade, the marinade will often degrade the quality of the final product.

5. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    This. Steak sauces are full of concentrated sugars. Read one of their labels. My favorite entry was raisin juice concrentrate. So the sugar is concentrated in drying to the raisin stage, and then concentrated some more.

Maybe try and finish the steak with a hoisin butter. Maybe add a little seame oil too, garlic, green onion...

dectra likes this.
  6. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Steak - salt, pepper, screaming hot cast iron - done!!! You want to dip your steak in something dip your steak in something, but please don't ruin a perfectly good rib eye.

7. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Sirloin steaks I marinate. Also various chuck cuts ( currently have short ribs in a Korean inspired mix for the Chile Challenge ) flank steaks, and such. But ribeye? If you are getting rib eyes that would benefit from marinating you are getting ripped off. I would never marinate a rib eye in a marinade! Wait a minute - does a 45 minute or so dry rub of salt, pepper and garlic powder count?

mjb.

8. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    A lot of Asian style marinades won't really work with American style steaks, for the reasons stated above, the biggest of which is the sugar content. While this isn't an issue with a lot of Asian beef dishes because the meat is cut so thin, it would be an issue with American style steaks, which are much thicker, take a longer time to cook, and thus would end up burning. That isn't to say that you can't bring some Asian flavor to an American style steak through marinating, but you really need to be careful about the sugar content, and as others have said, I think you are better served using a dipping sauce.

9. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My favorite steak treatment with Asian flavors.

Garlic. You can do this a couple of ways.
    • Cut a garlic clove and rub the steak
    • Make a garlic paste and smear on the steak
    • Sprinkle with garlic powder. This is the simplest.
    Pepper. Season with fresh ground pepper. I prefer a fine grind so it sticks without being a texture of its own.

Soy sauce. Brush lightly and evenly. Depending on your soy sauce, you may need some extra salt. I use Ve Wong XO which is pretty low salt as soy goes without actually being a low salt soy sauce.

Let sit 15 minutes up to an hour. Blot off any liquid prior to cooking.

If you want full Asian a stir fry of steak strips with black pepper, lots of onions (green and yellow) a little garlic and peppers strips of your desired color and heat. A mixture gives you some of everything. Marinate steak in rice wine, soy sauce, corn starch. Sauce with soy and black soy and sesame oil.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 7:34 PM