Rib Roast

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by dillonsmimi, Dec 17, 2009.

1. dillonsmimi

dillonsmimi

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    A local butcher has his "Prime Rib" roasts on sale this week for $8.99/lb. I always roast a hunk 'o beef on NY Eve for the hubs and I to share...just the two of us. We have a bit of wine, great food and....well, you get the idea. I have 2 questions...1. I am pretty good at choosing meats but welcome any and all tips if you wish to share...2. I always 'age' the roast in the (extra) fridge, loosely covered with freezer paper for 5-6 days as I really like that rich, beefy taste it gives. Should I do this before or after freezing? I know, I know....I would rather not say the 'F' word at all...but since it is give or take 2 weeks before I need it I am a little leary about having it sit in the fridge all that time. (these may be moot questions as I have not even seen this proposed 'prime' meat ...it may not even meet my standards). If I put an alarm on this storage fridge and open it maybe once or twice a day to turn and inspect...will it be OK?

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Wow, I have not seen "prime" rib of beef for less than $22-27 per pound here in NY. What part of the country are you from?

3. dillonsmimi

dillonsmimi

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Suburb of Houston....and I agree. I always expect to pay about $22/lb. He probably ordered his usual holiday amt and realized that nobody has the disposable income for such a splurge this year. I got the offer in the mail with the usual Christmas Card (this guy is The Man when it comes to meat) and kinda figure this is an offer for his loyal customers that he wants to keep around. So anyway....will it keep for 2 weeks in the fridge and what temp should I strive for?

4. dillonsmimi

dillonsmimi

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Ok...I have been lurking a few trustworthy beef and beef storage sites and this is what I found. Cover the roast with a cotton towel and store on bottom shelf in the fridge and keep the temp around 34 degrees. Every day roll the meat over and change the towel. The max recommended is 3 days. I have never had any trouble with a 5-6 day age. I will be having a talk with my butcher tomorrow and ask if he will extend the 'sale' for a week or so. Then I will use my tried and true procedure and enjoy as always. Now for sides. I bake several russets, peel and cube, then toss in with all that glorious rendered fat and cook until browned. I came across some really nice carrots today and plan to glaze them in a buttery, spicy, honey mixture and finish off with chopped fresh parsley straight from my herb garden. Anyone have a wine suggestion?