Rib Eye Steak

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by warmupwill, Jan 10, 2014.

1. warmupwill

warmupwill

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hey guys, I'm lioking for something different to do with my rib eye steak. I have 1.5kg to play with and I'm looking to make a meal for four. If it was up to me I would have the normal, 30s on each side then onto a plate but that seems quite a boring dish now. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. helloitslucas

helloitslucas

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Ribeye with mango chimichurri! Or just a chimichurri sauce, but the mango will add a great addition. I've grown tired of pan sauces so this is my go to steak recipe as of late.

Edit: I googled a recipe for it and this is kind of similar to how I make it, except instead of red wine vinegar I use a lemon, lime and sugar mixture. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...teak-with-mango-chimichurri-recipe/index.html

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    A good steak is never boring.  There is only one reason that I would cover my steak with sauce and that's only because the meat itself is nothing to write home about.  But if you've got a beautiful piece of meat it literally only needs salt and pepper and good high heat.  30s on each side sounds.... raw but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Instead, focus on making interesting accompaniments.  There is lots of flexibility there in terms of vegetables, potatoes, etc.  

4. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
  5. helloitslucas

helloitslucas

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Very true! The beef speaks for itself.

Born and raised in Iowa we say, "Just ******* throw it on the char!" Meaning just throw it straight on the coals for a bit and you have the best tasting steak you will ever have.

That is why I suggested a bit of fruit.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
  6. wlong

wlong

Exp:
    Other
    @helloitslucas

I and probably many other do not appreciate your language in your last post.

7. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Thank you.  Please be courteous.  And, although, you may prefer your steak plain, please try to address the question the OP asked.

ETA: start with bruschetta, if you like, serve it with French fries, smashed or mashed (or any potato you like), and a big green interesting salad, i.e. mixed greens, avocado, cherry or grape tomatoes, red onion, etc & dressing of choice.  That will be plenty for 4.  Enjoy.

8. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You may always wake me up for excellent steak served with homemade béarnaise and handcut fries.

9. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Is it a very large 1.5 Kg rib steak? In France we call those "Cote de Boeuf" and we would insert garlic cloves in it and cook it under a very hot broiler, or over very hot coals, to get a charred exterior while keeping it nearly raw inside. 

Another idea is "Seua Rong Hai" which is the Thai "Crying Tiger" dish (google either for a recipe) - it's absolutely delicious if you like chili. 

10. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I doubt helloitslucas meant any disrespect. And he did give suggestions to the OP. I on the other hand was suggesting that the "if it were up to me I'd just..." Is good too. I'm just saying, if I was his guest I too would be happy with a simply cooked steak. A good steak is like a naturally beautiful woman - she doesn't need makeup to be beautiful. But she could use a nice shoe.

11. jonpaul

jonpaul

Exp:
    Home Cook
    burgers?ribeye burgers with jarlsberg,smoked bacon & cukes,dill 'tater salad & crisps?.ribeye does make a mighty fine burger imho.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    JonPaul, you do like your meat a tad overcooked don't you.

13. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    One person's overcooked is another person's undercooked.

He likes his cooked to a higher temperature than what your prefer.

I have been working in restaurants long enough that I have pretty thick hide when it comes to people's preferences, but if a waiter does bring a dish back from the dining room, he  faces less resistance from most people in the kitchen if when describing the nature of the comment (notice comment not complaint/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif) from the guest he doesn't use the terms overcooked or undercooked. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif  

14. jonpaul

jonpaul

Exp:
    Home Cook
    i like my burgers with a "blush".when it's not a burger,i like my ribeye's med/rare,comme ca:

15. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I was making a general observation from both the pork and the burger. I grew up in a house where everything was seriously overcooked. Roast chicken was so over roasted that it was dry and grainy, but thats how my mother likes her meat. I grew up thinking I didn't like meat. Turns out I love meat but it has to be cooked properly. That pork roast brought back some memories :)

16. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Thin slice it for cheese steak sandwiches? Smoke it low and slow until medium(or however you like it)?

17. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    OMG that's not a burger JonPaul, that's a meal for a family of 8!!!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

18. babytiger

babytiger

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I would cook the ribeye plain as steak. The leftover would make a good steak salad or a stir fry for another meal (I would undercook it  a bit if using it as a stir fry for another meal).

19. jonpaul

jonpaul

Exp:
    Home Cook
    ha!just for two,to share,FF.since the "burger incident",i have weaned myself off man v food............./img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif!!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  20. jonpaul

jonpaul

Exp:
    Home Cook
    happy one's i trust/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif?food is incredibly evocative to be sure,k!