Rhubarb

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by dunk, May 12, 2002.

1. dunk

dunk

Hi everyone -

I'm going out in a couple minutes to cut some rhubarb out of the garden and I was thinking about what I'm going to do with it(besides eating it plain -- my siblings and I, when we were younger, used to always have contests to see who could eat raw rhubarb without making a face - I most often won:eek: .) Usually I make strawberry-rhubarb pie, or rhubarb crisp but I want to make something different this time. What are your favorite rhubarb recipes?

Thanks,
    Dunk

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi Dunk,

I do a duck magret with rhubard and wild Maine blueberries over laveder scented wild rice.

Also a chutney of rhubard and white rasins to serve with lamb loin and toasted Israely cous cous is good

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    rhubarb chutney with ginger on pork
    Rhubarb orange sauce on vanilla ice cream
    Strudel

4. dunk

dunk

Thanks - those all sound great! Can you post the recipes? Especially the rhubarb orange sauce -- that sounds like something my dad would love.

Dunk

5. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    My mother used to make the best rhubarb and ginger jam with chunks of fresh ginger. Ooooh I can taste it now. Mmmmm

Jock

6. isa

isa

Rhubarb compote with crystallised ginger. Delicious on it's own or over ice cream, spice cake.... :lips:

7. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Ok.... take condensed OJ add rhubarb cook on medium heat until desired consistancy add sugar if needed...I also throw in a cinnamon stick. If you only have fresh Oj add corn starch to thicken then add the rhubarb and sugar. Good as a tart or strudel filling as well as just a great sauce....add herbs, garlic, onions, ginger for a savory sauce.

8. pongi

pongi

My favourite rhubarb pie is made with shortcrust pastry-a layer of egg custard-a layer of powdered Amaretti-a layer of rhubarb compote-another layer of shortcrust pastry on top.
    Unfortunately, fresh rhubarb is very hard to find here in Italy (when you say the word "rhubarb", most people thinks you mean a liqueur:D )

Pongi