rhubarb pie, NO pre-baked crust?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by karendf, Oct 9, 2010.

1. karendf

karendf

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Quick question:

The recipes I'm finding for rhubarb pie do not ask for pre-baked crusts....which seems not right.  I made one last week from a recipe book called Sweet Melisaa without baking the crust and it never cooked, wasn't too happy.  Seems like runny fillings should have pre-baked crusts, am I right?

have a good one.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/confused.gif

2. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi Karen,

Hace demasiado tiempo.

But it is right.  That's how rhubarb pie is usually made.  You could, if you liked cook tart shell and a rhubarb filling separately.  Por que no?

Don't know why it didn't work.  I do know you are a very good baker, though -- which makes me curious as to where to lay the onus.
    Alas, no.

It's been a successful techniqe for centuries to make fruit pies by made by piling the fruit, sugar and a little starch into a raw shell and covering that with some sort of raw dough.  It's probably the dominant technique in North America and the UK.

Wish I could have been of more practical help,

BDL

PS.  Are you still a student?  When do you graduate?

3. karendf

karendf

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    WELL, no I'm not a student anymore...BUt it wasn't a B.A. either of B.C. Bachelor's in Cooking???  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

but I think I'll rather be a life-long one...

but listen the curious part is that a chef friend from a nice restaurant in town (Ivoire) came and helped me, and said the same..nope...you gotta bake that first!  I didn't listen and my stomach was worse for wear.

I even looked at the CIA book on the technique and it was interesting to see the pre-baking technique, after pre-baking put some butter on it before you put the filling in.  I'll try again perhaps it was just too thick of a crust, but the recipe in itself I didn't like too much anyway.  I'll get another one.

quiches use pre-baked, or not?  I'll try and send you the recipe...  You can see how all the stuff came out...I went to bed late that day...

[​IMG]

4. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Querida Karen,

I've always had and made rhubarb and strawberry/rhubarb as a two crust or lattice top pie; and by necissity the crusts were not pre-baked.  It may have been a failure of imagination on my part not to realize you were talking open-top, but two crust is what I'm used to and no imagination is how I roll. 

It makes sense to blind bake the shell of an open pie or tart -- if only because you can't really go wrong as long as you guard against over baking.  Makes triple sense if you're pre-cooking the filling at all, which is also something that completely passed me by.  Were you pre-cooking? 

Also, what sort of crust are you using?  Sablee, sucree or brisee?

Looking forward to those pictures.

Como siempre un fuerte abrazo,

BDL

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  5. karendf

karendf

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Sorry for taking so long to get back, I'm been busy at work and baking goodies to sell.

Back to the rhubarb crust, the recipe calls is a flaky piecrust, but it never reached that point, is was raw.  Flour, salt, butter, and ice water, and shortening (I used manteca vegetal, Inca)  The recipe says to have it 1/4 inch thick which sounds too thick to me, but anyway, and it was baked in a ceramic dish.  

I really didn't like the filling either, too syrupy for my taste, (strawberry, rhubarb, lemon juice, cornstarch, and sugar), and no I didn't cook it before.

I'm gonna go back to one that's made with eggs, with a crumble topping, it turns out better.

What I need to find is a recipe for pescado a la talla, boy I like that!  The best ones are almost always at the beach.

I'm getting some sun this day of the dead.  Off to the beach

Bon weekend Bor- de -laise!   

6. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Cook the filling first to the consistency you want.then proceed. Use a metal deep dish pie pan, add a dash of sugar to the crust mixture I have found his will make it crisper, and impart better color. Good Luck