Reviving dry roasts

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by bluegirl, Mar 22, 2010.

1. bluegirl

bluegirl

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
     So last night I cooked an eye of round roast in the crockpot.  After 4 hours on low (my crockpot low is really a high - not sure though) it looked like it was done - way over done.  so I chopped it up and am hoping to put it  back into crockpot with maybe a can of cream of mushroom soup and some bovril and see if cooking it more will tenderize it.  Anybody know how I can revive this roast?  The meat is actually somewhat tasty but tough.  Any suggestions?

2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    It's tough because you didn't leave it in the crockpot long enough.

If you read crockpot specific recipes you'll note that most of them call for cooking times of at least 6 hours, and often longer than that.

When you use a slow cooker you are, in effect, braising. Might keep that in mind in the future.

3. cabosailor

cabosailor

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    This is why I stuck a digital thermometer into my slow cooker for a chuck roast yesterday.  I ignored the time and let it cook until the internal temp was 190 al la bbq beef brisket to break down the connective tissue.  It turned out tender and juicy.  I could have used any instant read thermometer and if my slow cooker didn't have a vent hole in the lid, I would have waited until roughly 4-5 hrs and quickly checked manually.  Of course if I do it that way I let a lot of heat out and probably extend the cook time another 30 min or so.

I can't think of any way to make the result you have tender.  Possibly if you slice it very,very thin you could use it on sandwiches.

Rich

4. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Have you watched man v food. The episode I'm thinking of is in Chicago when your man scoffs a Chicago beef sandwich...Amazing!.

To duplicate, i would suggest you very thinly slice your meat leave it to cook further in a gravy youve made, till its falling apart. then fill a ciabatta type roll, add anything you like.Cooked Pickles? (cant remember the additions...I'm sure Chicagoites will advise) Then dip the whole thing in the gravy.And enjoy the squishy sandwich

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010