Resume restructure needed for internship

Discussion in 'General Culinary School Discussions' started by brie, Mar 30, 2005.

1. brie

brie

I'm finishing up here at LCB and am researching internship opportunities. I need advice on how to re-do my resume for the culinary field. I have been in the business field - management at UPS and also at an insurance firm - since graduating with my BA. I worked in a kitchen all through high school and through university as well. What do you think chefs are looking for? It's very difficult because technically I'm a career changer, and I want to be taken seriously.

2. deltadoc

deltadoc

I would look at transferable skills, such as the UPS management experience. Surely that would translate into managing a kitchen (costing, scheduling, projecting, etc.).

Emphasize those skill sets along with showcasing your LCB graduation.

doc

3. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I look for a good work ethic, passable social skills, willingness to learn (i.e. I don't want know-it-alls, I want people that know there's a lot to learn), ability to follow instructions, ability to work independently and dependability. Regarding your supervisory experience, I'd use it to highlight your people skills and maturity, ability to multi-task, ability to handle pressure and responsibility. There's more, but that and Doc's post should give you a good idea.

P.S. Check your PM's, Brie.