Resting steaks in beurre monte

Joined Nov 11, 2012
I'll be making some test steaks soon.  Contractor just finished grouting the kitchen tiles this weekend, moved in the equipment on the line yesterday so they can wire the island equipment from the top today.  I'll post my results when I get some test runs done.

Heres my line as it stands now...

Joined Jan 24, 2013
I'll be making some test steaks soon.  Contractor just finished grouting the kitchen tiles this weekend, moved in the equipment on the line yesterday so they can wire the island equipment from the top today.  I'll post my results when I get some test runs done.

How freakin exciting. These are your glory days.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Where's the restaurant?  You need informed unbiased opinions.  :D

Joined Jan 30, 2012

Looks like a big space - I envy you!

Joined Apr 3, 2011
Not sure I'd want any starch in it though.  I guess a "semi" demi without the espagnole would work...basically veal stock reduction.  Another drawback with using demi though would be that I couldn't turn around and clarify the used butter...sure I could make a sauce out of it that would be great, but I'd have to use the hell out of that sauce to use it all.  At least with the beurre monte I can take the leftover and clarify it the next day for regular use, and I'll certainly be plowing through the clarified butter.  Although veal butter might be really good for sauteing...

The health inspectors around here aren't too bright, so I'm pretty sure I can explain away the pan of warm butter sauce if needed.  Actually they probably wouldn't even notice it.  The only things they seem to care about are washing hands 'properly', using gloves constantly, and fridge temps.  
I just posted the same idea in another thread, but it seems just as relevant here.  After butchering our dry aged new yorks we would grind and render the beef fat.  During service the fat would be heated and aromatics would be added and put into a third or half hotel pan on the station.  We would rest all the steaks in the aged fat.  This kept the juices in (probably even more than beurre monte, because there is no water in the fat like in the BM) and added another layer of flavor.  Awesome technique.

Joined Nov 11, 2012
I just posted the same idea in another thread, but it seems just as relevant here.  After butchering our dry aged new yorks we would grind and render the beef fat.  During service the fat would be heated and aromatics would be added and put into a third or half hotel pan on the station.  We would rest all the steaks in the aged fat.  This kept the juices in (probably even more than beurre monte, because there is no water in the fat like in the BM) and added another layer of flavor.  Awesome technique.
Wow thats clever!  

What fat are you using for this?  I'm assuming you're dry aging the subprimal strip loin, and you have to trim that down...is it the fat from the fat cap?  Or from other parts of the animal from the butcher or your own butchering?

Moving into the new kitchen on tuesday.  Lots of work to be done at that point.  Its a decent sized space but we are short on equipment...six burners, one oven, etc..  And the owner doesn't quite understand the amount of work that goes in to this level of food production;  his background is in the turn-and-burn chain stores and hes never been involved with an everything-from-scratch kitchen before.  So getting him to understand the production schedules and labor needs is a bit difficult.  I might try...if I have the energy to spare...to keep a daily journal at that point of everything that gets done in order to get the kitchen operational.  In any event I'll definitely post some stuff here regarding the steaks and what I do to them.

Joined Dec 6, 2012
I find this very interesting and would like to give it a try.

But what does one do with the meat after it has rested in the butter? Warm it up to serving temperature in the oven a few mins? (thats how we usually finish our meats after it has rested in the drawer of that very temp you mention....so thats different...)

Latest posts

Top Bottom