REstaurants using local food

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Curious as to how many of you use local products (direct or indirect buys)?
Then do you name them on your menus by farm?

Several local restaurants in STL distinguish themselves by using local products, most if not all give credit to the farmers....my catering is based on using local products, though many times the food costs are through the roof<especially when I'm buying local meats>. Usually the menus/signage will have "Goatsbeard chevre tart" "Bellews Creek black beans" Walnut Grove Salad....etc.....I try not to get excessively wordy but most people that want local foods at their events want to say where the products are from.

It is also interesting to see several restaurants claim "local, farm fresh" and use brokers row.

Right now there are: white asparagus, green asparagus, spinach, arugula, mix lettuces, spring garlic, spring onions, carrots, radishes, lamb, chevre, eggs, chickens, I bought pecans on Sat (?) they were great!, rhubarb, mustard, kale, mint, tarragon, thyme.....I'm sure morels but I don't have any fresh.

Joined Jun 13, 2002
We use local ingredients BIG TIME:

Morels, Whitefish, Salmon, Perch, leeks, cherries, buffalo, venison, duck, fudge, and more....

All grown and bought locally!

Eric
Northern Michigan

Joined Jan 24, 2003
Hi Shroomgrl, I think its essential to use local produce as it not only ensures that visitors eat regional products but provides local wealth to the community. If you are lucky to live in an area blesses with good produce then you cant do wrong.
My area is blessed with excellent meat, cheese , beverages ,fruit n veg,cream seafood, pretty much everything I need to provide taste & inspiration.

Top Bottom