Restaurant Show at Javits Ctr 1/19-21

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by suzanne, Jan 19, 2003.

1. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    If anyone else will be there on Monday, 1/20, come to the Heineken Booth at 11:00am. Jim and I are planning to meet there then, and of course everyone else is welcome to join us! Hope to see "youse guys" again, or for the first time. :D

2. chef1x

chef1x

Oh man, I didn't make it until 1:00. It was so freezing today I couldn't get out of bed.

I was planning on going tomorrow, but all the seminars I'm interested in are over, and sadly enough, the only thing I really enjoyed was the bartending competition.
    Is it me, or were there a lot less samples and smallname/interesting vendors?
    I was totally disappointed in the chefs de parade thing; the camera always seemed to be in the wrong place so you really couldn't see what was going on, and the tasting I had was very tepid. I wouldn't blame the chefs, just the way it's set up. Maybe I'll go and check that out all day tomorrow...

What did you think?

And having complained so much, I wouldn't miss it!:)

3. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I was hoping to get some info. on where you guys would be after the show, so that maybe I could have joined you. Well, I'm sure it was fun, and I can't wait to hear about it!

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Well, at least if you go tomorrow you might be able to get loot that exhibitors don't want to ship back. :D

Yeah, it seemed small -- not much equipment, not much tabletop -- not entirely a waste of time for me, but still... Believe it or not, the best purveyor there (Sid Wainer, IMO) had more of a presence at the relatively tiny Women Chefs and Restaurateurs conference last fall in Cambridge, MA :rolleyes:

I mean, the biggest "new thing" was the sausage-shaped ice-cream in a bum. Sheesh!

5. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Great seeing fellow ChefTalker @ the show!! Momo... we (the group I was with) ended up hitting Zabar's and Dean & Deluca and then we skipped town. My boss was too cheap (go figure) to spring for a real restaurant so we ended up at Applebees in Allentown, Pa. :eek:

And, yes Suzanne, it took a really, really long time to walk from the Javits center to Rockefeller center and back. Especially when it felt like 80-below zero!! My constituent with me said "the cold they have in New York is not natural!!" Thanks for meeting up with us! Great seeing you there... next time we're doin' lunch!!

6. chef1x

chef1x

Suzanne,

For at least the last 2 years I thought the Sid space was the best over all myself: lots of good tastings, low pressure, good presentation. Unfortunately I was never able to buy from them. I think it's admirable that they are primarily a New England supplier but show up every year for this.

OMG:) Did you TRY the sausage shaped Ice Cream in a bun? I saw it and RAN, dragging my GF with me before she even thought about it.

I find it very amusing every time I go to one of these shows how they have all these "babes" decked out giving the most ridiculous of samples. One of my favs was a sorbet type thing given out in fruit "shells."

Ah well, there's always next year.:chef:

7. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Puh-leeze. How low do you think I will stoop?! If it isn't real gelato in a brioche-type roll, there's NO WAY I'll get near it. ;)

The 2 days I was there, I hit Neuskes (applewood smoked ham and bacon) and the various duck, buffalo/bison, seafood, and Wagyu beef stands for eats. And the cheese and bread purveyors. Especially someone with black truffle butter, I forget who it was. Otherwise, blech.

I guess Sid Wainer is looking to expand into the NY market, which would be a great thing. They've got some unique products that travel well (the Jansal Valley stuff, and some prepared meats & cheeses), so even if they don't bring down the produce, we can still get good stuff from them.

My main reason for going was to look at take-out containers and labeling for a client who wants to ship a frozen product in "classy" containers. And to find out if anyone will rent a buffalo chopper. At least I had success on the first.

Overall, it was not much of a show for me. But as Chef1X says, there's always next year.

8. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  9. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    We get Sid here too....one of my catering buddies buys the long stem artichokes for fancy buffets. I've not used him but seen his shtuff.