Restaurant inspections and food recalls - My rant

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by jellly, Sep 18, 2010.

1. jellly

jellly

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I am just reading in this article -  that the facilities behind the egg recall that sickened more than 1,500 people was NEVER inspected by the FDA.  Does that sound crazy to anyone else?  

The restaurant where I work gets a health inspector visit more than once a year.  And though I appreciate the basic function of keeping restaurants working clean, it can also be aggravating when they find fault with some fairly silly things.

So I can't keep a towel tucked in my apron (admit it - a lot of you do this), but it is ok for an egg processing facility to be so filthy they spread foodborne illnesses across multiple states?  There is something very wrong with this setup.

2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Keep in mind, Jelly, that the food inspector you see is local, but responisbility for inspecting things like egg factories falls to the federal government.

That, alone, should tell you why so many people object to paying federal taxes.

3. jellly

jellly

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Oh, I am one of those crazy fools that doesn't even object to paying taxes.  I would just think that a facility serving a larger customer base should at least be kept to the same standards as the smaller restaurants.  Even with different agencies enforcing different rules.  

A lot of people became ill because that plant was filthy.  And year after year, it just keeps happening.

4. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Jelly, in the modern world, most people do not object to paying taxes per se. What they object to is seeing a larger and larger percentage of their income going to taxes which are not returned in meaningful goods and services.

The entire physical infrastructure of the U.S. is moribund. Our "regulatory" agencies are bloated empires. Most of our agencies do nothing to justify their existance. And 40% of our income is devoted to supporting that mess.

The whole thing really makes you wish that Jefferson had pulled off his plans.