Restaurant for EXCELLENT seafood?

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by shawtycat, May 11, 2002.

1. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    Hey Guys,

That's what I am looking for. Although I grew up on an island with fresh seafood everyday.... fish is all Ive ever eaten. Well I did try shrimp once but that was at a chinese takeout in Brooklyn and doesn't count. I couldn't find the shrimp in all that fried batter. I want to try some seafood but would prefer that the experience be well past. Ho Hum. I eat sushi but still stick to the tuna rolls. Not very adventurous of me, I know. Where can I find the best seafood in NYC?

Thanks,

Jodi

2. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    A lot would depend on how much you are willing to spend. There is Oceana and Le Bernadin (sp?), they are great, but very, very expensive.

3. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    Thanks Pete,

Is this place about $60 bucks a plate? Ill look it up those names on citysearch.com . I thought Id ask here cause it seems that all the reviews of restaurants on city search say "don't eat here".

Thanks,

Jodi

4. zhaba

zhaba

Oceana would have to be my number 1 choice for the best fish in the City every time. However, if you want to try some funkier flavors, a lot of the popular restaurants have great fish dishes -- Tabla (I had the skate, fabulous), Messa Grill (both, the calamari appetizer was great and the whole fish entre), etc.... or for an incredibly delicious Indian flavors, at Dawat (I don't know what they do to the fish but it seems like they marinate a whole fish and then roast it in the tandoor oven -- excellent). All of these places, however, are pricy.
    If you want to move beyond tuna rolls, try Sushi Samba where they specialize in ceviches -- they take the usually popular raw fishes (tuna, salmon, fluke, etc) and marinate them in different sauces such as teriyaki, salsas, etc. It's a hip-hop place and reasonable prices.
    I don't usually order lobster in restaurants because they are either tough or taste exactly the same everywhere ... EXCEPT my all time favorite dish is called Angry Lobster at F. Ily Ponties right off of the West Side Highway -- it's lobster chopped into small chunks, stir fried with oil, garlic, basil, and hot red pepper flakes -- seems simple but absolutely delicious (you can have it in or out of the shell). The lobster does not run you cheap though.

5. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    Good food is worth the cost. Especially if you have never had that particular food before. It is best to find someone who loves this food and loves to prepare this food so that when you taste it you know that you are getting it at is best!

Ill go see where Oceana is located. That may be my birthday gift. I already picked out Escoffier: La Guide Culinaire as my Mother's Day Gift. I love good books as well as good food. :D

Jodi

6. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Shawnycat,

The restaurants mentioned above are all incredible.

Le Bernardin is my personal favorite...but don't ask momreg, she hated it :eek:

But, our very own suzanne worked there...give her a holler

7. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    How about Aquavit?? The link takes you to the $65 Prix Fixe menu. I loved this place.

8. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    CC,

Ill look up your place.

KyleW

All that stuff looks delicious! Foie Gras, tournedos of duck...Id have to go back a few times. Hmmm, lets see there still my birthday and christmas. Can anyone think of a few holiday's? DH will be paying for this remember :) Gotta have my reasons outlined. Otherwise I guess I could go twice a year. :)

9. ruth

ruth

try the grand central market in grand central station.it is located right at the elevator as you go down to the lower level ,where the food court is.I was just there on monday and you would love to see what they have and the different varieties in which the raw is prepared ready for take home to cook yourself............
    good luck

10. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    That has to be new Ruth cause I don't remember seeing that place. Ill look for it on my next trip in. Thanks.

Jodi