Research Survey for a New Smart Cooking Assistant Device Concept called 'Sous-Chef PRO'

Joined Feb 15, 2021
Hi everyone, hope you're all well and safe.

I am conducting some research to support a report I am writing about a new concept idea I have come up with for the world of cooking; 'Sous-Chef PRO'.

The Sous-Chef PRO is a smart electronic tablet like device that is a cooking timer, recipe book, and assistant all rolled into one. The product allows you to:
- Have multiple timers open at once for those long complicated recipes.
- Allows you to both download and create your own recipes, which can then be saved to your own library for a later date.
- Will direct you and prompt you through recipes, with on screen reminders. Should you leave the kitchen, reminders can also be spoken through bluetooth speaker connection,
as well as send push notifications to your phone.

I am asking for anyone with a spare 2 minutes to help me out by filling out this short multiple choice survey. Please click the Google Forms Link here to participate. Thank you in advance!
https://forms.gle/hVLNEDbyhgbujQx17

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
A separate device strikes me as pointless. Smartphones already let you run multiple timers. Smartphones already let me do recipe librarying and creation without being device locked to your device. And honestly, I run the timers in my head for the most part, marking the clock time at start and calculating completion by memory.

You could probably do the smart speaker thing using the apis of Google, Alexa and so on.

I think at most you're got the idea for an app,

Now, getting responses from this group will likely skew your results, We all already know how to manage these things. Most of us of have a content system we like. So you're going to get responses with negative indication compared to the populace generally.

Joined Feb 15, 2021
A separate device strikes me as pointless. Smartphones already let you run multiple timers. Smartphones already let me do recipe librarying and creation without being device locked to your device. And honestly, I run the timers in my head for the most part, marking the clock time at start and calculating completion by memory.

You could probably do the smart speaker thing using the apis of Google, Alexa and so on.

Now, getting responses from this group will likely skew your results, We all already know how to manage these things. Most of us of have a content system we like. So you're going to get responses with negative indication compared to the populace

Now, getting responses from this group will likely skew your results, We all already know how to manage these things. Most of us of have a content system we like. So you're going to get responses with negative indication compared to the populace generally.
The concept idea is for a university assignment. Part one of the assignment is to come up with a concept, and part two of the assignment is to decide whether to take the concept further in the product development stages based on the responses of my research, so I am not looking for any specific responses, therefore the results cannot be "skewed". If the results come back and tell me there is a general no interest in such a product, then it wont be taken any further...this is the point in the survey. I also disagree that it is "pointless" - phones can do a lot of things that other specific products were made for. The idea of the 'Sous-Chef' is to be specifically for cooking, and helping people that are unconfident with cooking or aren't the best organised etc. If people would rather use their phone, fair enough, but I don't think you speak for everyone on that matter. Thanks for the reply.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
The idea is sound. However, I think the product would be best marketed to home cooks rather than professionals. I think what Phatch said is spot on. That doesn't mean pros won't be interested. But, I think a home cook would be more interested in something like this, especially busy home cooks and those who operate under the cottage industry laws.

Good luck. :)

Joined May 5, 2010
Phatch and sgsvirgil...I think you are looking at this from a Pro point of view. We are in the food and cooking forum and not the pro forum. This device is for the at home cook

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Phatch and sgsvirgil...I think you are looking at this from a Pro point of view. We are in the food and cooking forum and not the pro forum. This device is for the at home cook
I don't want to speak for Phatch but, I talking from marketing perspective, not a forum perspective. I think this product would do better marketed to home cooks. :)

Joined May 25, 2015
We are in the food and cooking forum and not the pro forum. This device is for the at home cook

True, but this board doesn't attract much home cook traffic. Better to find one that is dedicated to home cooks and "foodies".

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Speaking as someone who has close to 40 years in the commercial kitchen, the concept has merit for home cooks.

I have used all sorts of “ systems” and “ programs”, gawd knows how many tablets, monitors, printers, etc. I’ve seen getting destroyed in a commercial kitchen

Here’s what I’ve found works best:

1)The “ Chef” works out a recipie, costs it, and gets it approved.

2) Said recipie is printed out, laminated, and put into a binder for everyone to access

This “ off line media form” has the following benefits:
-it can be thrown around, get stuff spilled on it, get wiped down and used over and over again without neccesating the use of a printer to spit out yet another copy.
- It requires no batteries, no charging, no internet hookup, no wifi, no ink cartridges, no paper, and no electricity whatsoever. Just enough light to read it.
-The “chef” has control of said recipie, no other “ versions” or “ interpretations “ exist.

As for timers, there is one on every electric appliance, no need for multiple alarms going off for one oven or one sous vide machine.

Joined Oct 23, 2008
As an avid home cook and career software developer I'll throw my opinion out there. As Phatch said there are standalone solutions for everything you mentioned, either through home assistance devices and or apps. Just a suggestion that might be more compelling for tech enthusiasts that like to cook: if you took an angle like a SmartHome hub, think something like Samsung Smarthings or Google Home, and had the ability to incorporate bluetooth devices, all into one experience that could be pretty compelling. Especially with the trend in bluetooth capable appliances and devices for cooking, things like temperature probes, sous vide units, and even some ovens are growing in these capabilities. So if a recipe had the option of utilizing them, you'd really advance things beyond just recipes and timers and create a potent "smart cooking assistant". I'll go ahead and take your survey though since this is for your schoolwork.

Top Bottom