[req adv] Increasing efficiency, small meal delivery service

Joined Jul 17, 2018
Hi all,
I've just started my own meal delivery service and I'm starting to push the limits of how many meals I can crank out in one day. This is a bit of a longer post so thank you in advance if you read through it. For some context I am passionate home cook who decided ditch my office job and become a profession cook (but I have no professional training). Right now it is a one man show, I do everything from buying produce to delivering the meals.
At the moment I cook about 140-160 meal/week split between 2 days, (8 hours each day) and I feel like this is my limit. If I did any more I think the quality would take a hit.
The menu rotates week to week but follows this general break down: protein/veg/carb-1, protein/veg/carb-2, pasta/stir fry.
The equipment I currently use: 6 burner gas range top, convection oven, immersion circulator, fryer, griddle, gas grill, walk in fridge & freezer. My workstation in the kitchen consists of 2, 76" tables with enough floor space for 1 cooling rack and 2 utility carts.
For example this Sunday's menu: Tilapia (w. Harissa-Yogurt Sauce)/Roasted Broccoli/Faro, Chicken Breast (w. Molasses-Chipotle Sauce)/Celery-Root Salad/Roasted Sweet Potatoes/Rigatoni alla bolognese. I have to cook 75 portions split evenly across the three meals.
My work flow goes something of along the lines of:
  • Wet brine chicken, dry brine tilapia
  • Prep & simmer bolognese
  • Cook faro
  • Pre-sear chicken & tilapia before sous vide
  • Roast broccoli & sweet potato
  • Prep celery root salad
  • Cook pasta, combine with sauce
  • Cool chicken & tilapia in ice bath
  • Prep harissa & chipotle sauce
  • Portion meals
Because I've never worked in a commercial kitchen before this I don't know if there's certain things I should or shouldn't be doing to optimize my process.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Joined Jun 23, 2015
At the moment I cook about 140-160 meal/week split between 2 days, (8 hours each day) and I feel like this is my limit. If I did any more I think the quality would take a hit

First welcome to cheftalk. Not being snarky but my answer is work 10 hours a day for three days.

Joined Jul 17, 2018
At the moment I cook about 140-160 meal/week split between 2 days, (8 hours each day) and I feel like this is my limit. If I did any more I think the quality would take a hit

First welcome to cheftalk. Not being snarky but my answer is work 10 hours a day for three days.

Thanks for the reply and I don't think youryo response was snarky at all. Current I shop for grocery in the morning from 7a-9a, am in the kitchen from 10a-6p. Delivery usually takes up 7p-9p. So ATM I'm working 12+ hours on my cook days and can't spend anymore time in the kitchen. I try to buy meat and produce and cook the same day it is delivered to maintain quality. I could add a third cook day for things that can keep well in the fridge.
I appreciate the input .

Latest posts

Top Bottom