Reprofiling using a CC?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by jtower42, Sep 10, 2013.

1. jtower42

jtower42

Exp:
    At home cook
    I apologize if this specific topic has been covered - I spent 15 minutes searching and couldn't find this specific question.

I have an "extra" Victorinox 8" chef's in my block, and after reading a lot of posts here, I would like to try to reprofile it to a more acute angle. A friend has a Trizor Chef's Choice, and I thought reprofiling my Vic would be a no-cost/low-risk way to get a 15ish angle and work on my technique with a thinner profile.

Two questions - does this sound like a good way to start? And can anyone provide any advice on how to properly reprofile using the CC? 

I have put a Wicked Edge on my Xmas list despite the raised eyebrow of my bride, but in the meantime, getting stones or sharpeners isn't in the cards. I am hoping that the reprofiled Vic will make a believer out of her. :)

Thanks in advance,

Jon

2. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Another final edge won't give it a thinner profile. If you want a thinner profile, you should ... thin. Start with building a relief bevel of some 10 degree. That will boost performance. If you do that, it isn't that important anymore whether the final edge is at 16 or 18 degree.

3. mhlee

mhlee

Exp:
    At home cook
    "Profile" is generally understood to mean the shape of the blade. What you're talking about is changing the angle of the bevels.

What are you trying to accomplish?

4. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Far from me to do any authoritative statement about English usage, but I've noticed a lot of people do use "reprofiling" to indicate "changing a blade's geometry". I believe that is even quite common, if not generally accepted.

5. jtower42

jtower42

Exp:
    At home cook
    I apologize if I am using the wrong terminology- I am new to this. mhlee is right, I think. I am trying to change the angle if the bevels from 20 to 15 degrees.

6. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    The question remains, though, what are you trying to achieve? For better performance thinning is far more important than the actual cutting edge angle.

7. jtower42

jtower42

Exp:
    At home cook
    Benuser, I am trying to get my knife sharper. I have read a lot on these forums about how proper technique can't be learned without adequate sharpness. I have reasonably good knife skills, but I would like to get more efficient and precise. Does that help? I am open to any and all advice.

8. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    If you change the edge angle without prior thinning don't expect any durable result. The thickness behind the edge will cause excessive friction, and damage your steeper edge. If you're not prepared to thin behind the edge a steeper edge won't contribute to any lasting performance enhancement, IMHO.

9. jtower42

jtower42

Exp:
    At home cook
    Ok. How do I thin behind the edge?

10. jbroida

jbroida

Exp:
    Former Chef

11. jtower42

jtower42

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks for the video. Very informative. Should I infer from the video that the only way to thin is with a stone? And that I will get no advantage (and in fact weaken my knife) by running it through all three stages in a Chefs Choice?

12. jbroida

jbroida

Exp:
    Former Chef
    There are other ways to do it… But the chefs choice is not the way