Replacing sake with vodka

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by ordo, Apr 10, 2012.

1. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I heard that you can replace cooking sake with diluted vodka and may be a pinch of sugar. Any experience, advice or alternatives? Sake is getting expensive and difficult to find here.

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'd go with a mirin next, then chinese rice spirt/wine if I could. And for the chinese wine, dry sherry is often substituted so give that a shot too.

Vodka has next to no flavor so all you're really adding with that is the alcohol, and a lot more of it than would come along with the sake or any of the other choices.

3. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Depends on the recipe and what the role of the sake is and whether leftover wine is an issue and what you want to drink as a result, but offhand I would suggest dry vermouth or a dry grassy type sauvignon blanc, muscadet, or extra brut champagne.

4. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm looking for a low acidity alcohol.  Wines and Champagne have high acidity (from pH 3 to pH 4) and lower alcohol than sake. Sake range goes from pH 0.7 to pH 1.2. I see now that vodka is also much more acidic than sake.

We have some cooking Chinese wines tho, but of lousy quality. I may post some picks of the rice wines we can actually get.

I have also access to this wine:

[​IMG]

And this Californian sake:

[​IMG]

And this  Korean sake:

[​IMG]

Anyone worth?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  5. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Clarification please: are you looking for low acidity (pH greater than, say 4.0) or low pH (pH around 1 or high acidity), the lower the pH, the higher the acidity.

6. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You're right sir. I mixed up unities. 0.7 to 1.2 is the Sando acidity, not the pH.

Sake's pH should be about 7 to 8.2, much more alkaline than wine and similar.