repackaging ground beef

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by scribble, Sep 15, 2017.

1. scribble

scribble

Exp:
    Home Cook
    My local supplier that I get my meat from has the same ground beef I normally buy in 1/2 lb packages available in 10 lb tubes (frozen) for a dollar less. I would like to repackage these into 1/2 lb packages for easier home usage. I am concerned with food safety with defrosting these tubes to get them broken down.

I appreciate any suggestions or criticism.

2. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    defrosting the big tube should be no issue if done in the refrigerator. my issue would be what to do with the 20 packages you have created. I would not want to refreeze. i guess you could slice frozen 10 lb tube on band saw and put back in freezer.

Chef Stephen likes this.
  3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    As long as you do it safely, i. e. thaw it in the fridge for a couple of days, I don't see there being much of a safety issue. On the other hand though, I think that you will have a quality issue. This has been frozen once, now you are going to thaw it, and I assume re-freeze the smaller packages. That freezing and thawing cycle takes its toll on the quality of your ground beef and now you are going to do it twice. You are going to lose a lot of moisture out of that meat.

kuan likes this.
  4. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I second what @scott livesey said. I would also make it a point to cook it all the way done when you use it.

edit: and @pete too.

5. scribble

scribble

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Would it be better to cook it all ahead of time and store the cooked beef in the freezer or is that just the same?

6. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You would need a huge pan. You really want a thin enough layer where it will brown properly and not cook in its own fat. It smells unappetizing anyway when you do that.

If anything at all, I would cook it in batches of real food. Make a gallon of spaghetti sauce. Make a gallon of chilli. Freeze.

7. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Since the goal is to end up with 1/2 lb packages, I would pay the $1 more and get exactly what you want. The $1 economy doesn't sound worth the hassle.

8. Chef Stephen

Chef Stephen

Exp:
    Bandsaw it whilst frozen?

I wouldn't want to defrost and refreeze minced beef, especially in the Americas, where food-safety legislation (or at least enforcement) is less stringent.¹

1. ‘Fast Food Nation’ by Eric Schlosser

9. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Ground beef in a tube is just wrong. The quality is generally poor.

10. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    yes, only way it would cut on bandsaw. if saving 1$ a pound, might be worth the trouble. would cook it up and freeze cooked portions. if 1$ savings on 10 pounds, not worth the trouble.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  11. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Why the concern for safety? If your supplier is getting the same meat in 10# sleeves then they are just repackaging the same product for resale. The process is the same at home but I'd have more confidence in my sanitation. Totally agree with the others here that I try to avoid this type of commercially ground meat at all cost. The tubes remind of what goes to prisons and sadly schools. What goes through those giant factory commercial grinders into to this tubes....uggggghh.
    If the cost works for you then I'd have zero concern about thawing/refreezing. Just don't forget to calculate the cost of freezer bags or what ever material you will use to repackage once you break down the sleeve into 20 packages.

12. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Agree with @chefbuba re the quality of the tubes.
    Check the label info (where..when..how of source and dates) and compare apples to apples.
    If the same is from the same lot (but not always from the first grinding) but if different...not... and the store should not be trying to pass it off as such.
    As for how to handle now that you have it home... precook and freeze (casseroles or meatloaf or loose for tacos or whatever) is prolly the best advice.

mimi