Remembering Chef Ed Buchanan

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by nicko, Mar 7, 2016.

1. fablesable

fablesable

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I feel very sad to hear of such a wonderful being passing on. He gave wonderful sound advice given with patience and clarity. He always seemed to have the time to share his wealth of experience with others. Ms. Barbara your loss is deeply felt by all who where privileged enough to receive his wisdom. My heartfelt condolences. He will be sorely missed here.

pete likes this.
  2. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    I am shattered.

Had been missing him here (thanks @Nicko for going the extra mile) and suspected he was no longer with us.

Ed was always someone who would listen to my whining and put everything into perspective and suspect he did the same for many other CT members.

Barbara...thank you so much for sharing him with us.

He gave me his Sangria formula and tonite I will make up a pitcher and toast his memory.

Whatta guy.

RIP Ed.

mimi

planethoff, chicagoterry and pete like this.
  3. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    Along with a few others i used to specifically search out his posts, to see
    what new things he might impart. He and his experience will be missed.

4. linecook854

linecook854

Exp:
    Head Chef
    Saddened to hear about this man's passing, R.I.P Ed.

Although I did not know him in any manner other than his postings here on ChefTalk, I did specifically look for his posts. One of the most useful and insightful members on here in my opinion. You could truly tell his viewpoint was one from the top down, his years of experience were evident in everything he said.

5. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Take care Ed, RIP.

We unfortunately shared a common bond. For Ed, enjoying life came first and giving/caring came second.

ED BUCHANAN
    Hi how are you. I made a decision not to have chemo.

I maintain my quality of life will only get worse  ED

panini
    Hey Ed,

Well it's good to see that you made a decision about the chemo. The worst thing you can do is waffle back and forth. You just don't move on.

[​IMG]ED BUCHANAN

I get out of house 3 or 4 times a week and take care of my cats(I volunteer for a private no kill shelter)

I  Have been involved with cats for years I do cat behavior   and help people that have problems with them, keeps me busy, I foster and adopt out many.. Hope you are feeling  ok and healthy. Have a great day EdB

Ed,

I'll miss you and our chats greatly. See you soon.

flipflopgirl, nicko and pete like this.
  6. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Very sorry to hear this.  RIP Chef.

7. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    My sincere condolences to Barbara and Ed's family and friends. Ed will be missed. 

8. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I was thinking the other day that I have seen Ed post lately.  I'm saddened to hear of his passing he was a complex human being in all the good ways.  RIP @chefedb

9. a1antis

a1antis

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I worked with Ed at Kater King, Terrace on the Park and Contentinental Hosts. His daughter and I were friends as young children. He was not an easy person to work with or to live with, but I always knew that underneath that tough shell he had a softer side he didn't show easily. I remember seeing it the first time when I found my cat Stanley dead. He got me a kitten we named Gizmo cause he looked like the gremlin. We haven't seen him in over a decade, but he was an important part of my life.

My mother and I offer our condolences to his family.

Andrea

kuan likes this.
  10. vic cardenas

vic cardenas

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Thanks for sharing, a1antis. I had not been on this forum too much the past year and I did not see this thread. I am saddened to see that Chef Ed has passed. He truly was a mentor to us all here. He will be missed. R.I.P. Chef. :'(  

kuan likes this.
  11. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Thank you for your kind words.

12. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Ed's citing of Ruhlman's RATIO truly put my crust making (pate brisee and sucree) into the ballpark and I never looked back.  THANKS, Ed.  8)

13. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Despite being a regular here for many years I never saw this post!  RIP, Ed.  He had a vast, encyclopedic level of culinary knowledge, and he  shared it freely.  The site is diminished with his passing.

vic cardenas likes this.