Remembering Chef Ed Buchanan

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Dear ChefTalk Community,

It is with a heavy heart that I have to report the passing of our beloved long time community member Chef Ed Buchanan (@chefedb). Ed's wife Barbara contacted me this morning and said Ed had been struggling with being ill for sometime and he passed away February 21, 2016.  

Chef Ed (@chefedb  and a previous username @ED BUCHANAN) was a long time member of ChefTalk.com and was in the top 10 posters (#3 actually at the time of this post) of the community with 8,949 posts. Ed was deeply loved by the community and was an outstanding resource for hundreds seeking help with kitchen work and cooking skills. Ed had an extensive career as a chef and a few highlights are:
  • Retired ,Former Instructor Culinary Arts. NYC Board of Ed.
  • Been in food business over 55 years Ex Chef  largest on premise catering facility in US ,$ volume in excess of 17 Million a year, 10,000 covers weekly
  • Owner operator Kater King Ltd NYC
  • Former Chef City Club Palm Beach,Terrace on the Park NYC
  • .Award Winner Foundation Escoffier 1966.
  • Specializing Classical Cuisine & Garde Manger
  • Apprenticeship  Program  NYC Hotel Asso. Negresco Hotel  Niece /Monte Carlo France Friars Club  NYC.
Ed had many hobbies and we all know how much he loved cats. His hobbies included: 
  • Food experimenting/chemistry
  • One  of original founders  Long.Island.Culinary Asso.
  • Volunteer 2 Animal Shelters  Palm Beach County,
  • Specializing in cat behavior.
  • Fosters Cats ,over 100 a year
  • Author of a book on  KITTEN FOSTERING
Please use this thread to post a thoughtful comment about Chef Ed. I will pass the URL of this memorial post on to his wife Barbara I am sure she will appreciate seeing how much Ed was loved the ChefTalk community. 

Last edited:

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
He was a deep well of pure knowledge. He'll be missed.

Joined Apr 25, 2011
Rest in Peace Chef EdB.  Very Sad. He was a culinary master, he will be greatly missed here.

Joined Sep 18, 2010
May he rest in peace in the arms of our Lord and let us all remember him.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
I agree I wish I would of met him in person what an amazing guy and so decent to share his knowledge with everyone. He will be deeply missed for sure.

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Here at this forum I learned a lot from Chef Buchanon.  R.I.P.   ...............Tears.  8........(

Last edited:
Joined Dec 8, 1999
I'll miss Ed, he was without a doubt one of the greatest contributors to cheftalk.

Joined May 14, 2014
Very sad- I, too, would have loved to meet him in person. Rest in peace, chef

Joined Jan 14, 2016
I am so sorry to see this happened. My deepest sympathies and condolences to all his friends and family members for their loss.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
I'll be missing him, the man never gave out poor advice and always answered promptly.

Deepest sympathies for his family,

Edward

Joined Sep 9, 2012
Very smart and kindhearted gentleman. Rest peacefully, Chef. Ms Barbara, thank you for sharing him with us, he is truly a great man

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Chef Ed was a great chef, great educator, and a fantastic part of our Chef Talk community.  What I liked about Chef Ed was that he was a "no nonsense" kind of guy and told it as it was, but never in a harsh or demeaning way.  He always had time to help answer a question, clarify a point, or set someone on the right track.  He will be sorely missed, at Chef Talk as well as at his many other endeavors.

RIP Ed

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Chef Ed Buchanan had a profound knowledge and love for this industry and the craft involved. In the Dictionary of Layne, under the entry of chef, is his picture because to me, he truly embodied the position and title of Chef. His legacy will live on though the wisdom, expertise, and experience he never hesitated to share with the rest of us. Thank you Chef Ed!

Joined Aug 15, 2003
I was just thinking about him a little while ago, wondering why he wasn't posting much anymore. 

RIP Chef. 

Joined Oct 18, 2007
Another great one from the brotherhood of cooks has left us.

R.I.P. Chef.

Thanks for all you've done.

Joined Apr 4, 2012
Such sad news!

If there is any justice in the universe, he is now surrounded by lots of lovely food and 100s of playful, adorable, affectionate kittens.

Top Bottom