Chef Forum banner

Relate a dish you had before adulthood that really amazed you, maybe you have or have not had it sin

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  vanessag 
#1 ·
When I was 16, my Mom and my stepfather took me to the San Francisco annual Boat Show at the Cow Palace (mid 60s), for dinner we went to Jack London Square, there was restaurant on a River Boat. This was the nicest restaurant I had ever been too (we we're dairy farmers visiting the big city), the entree I had was the Seafood Chef's special. It was something like a huge Chicken Pot Pie but instead it was a variety of seafood, dungeness crab, shrimp, pieces of fish, scallops, squid, veggies with the pie crust in a rich thick creamy broth/sauce. To me at that time it was amazing and delicious. About a year later I would eat my first Cioppino and soon after bouillabaisse, but the I have never forgot that Seafood Pot Pie and would love to have it again.

#2 ·
The dish that impressed me the most was something very simple, yet complex. It was minestrone soup at Lelli's restaurant in Detroit. I think the restaurant has moved since I was there a hundred years ago. I hope they still have that amazing soup.

That soup haunted me, so I just had to figure out how to make it. It took me years, but I finally did.The ingredient I was missing was fresh rosemary. That made all the difference, along with everything else, of course. After nearly 40 years, it's still my favorite.

#7 ·
I was always amazed by my Mum's Junket when I was a little girl.  It sat there wobbling if you moved it slightly and stayed firm - but the moment you dug into it with your spoon it began to break up and so you HAD to eat it quickly - I just loved it.

I got some Rennitt about 12 years ago and made it myself, but though it was very pleasant, the magic had gone!

Vanessa

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.