Reheating sous vide

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by Lucusd88, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Lucusd88

Lucusd88

Exp:
    Sous
    Hi Chefs
    If I sous vide my steaks and Ice bath. How long would it take to reheat in the sous vide for service?
    Thanks

2. don rich

don rich

Exp:
    Beginner garde manger
    Don’t reheat in the sous vide. Take them out of the bags, pat dry and let temper. Then use a cast iron hot skillet to finish or what ever way you choose to finish. A couple of minutes in a pan verses another hour or so and degraded quality in the sous vide would be better.

Lucusd88 likes this.
  3. don rich

don rich

Exp:
    Beginner garde manger
    You can speed up the process with clarified butter or ghee.

Lucusd88 likes this.
  4. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    There's too many factors to give you a time. It depends how big it is, what your bath is set to, etc. I set my bath to a lower temp than what I cooked the items at, this allows me insurance that something won't overcook and I can re-therm things with different cooking temperatures in the same bath.

I would say my ballpark best guess is 20-30 mins, but again this depends greatly on size, shape and bath temp.

5. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    If you have the time, reheating the steak in the sous vide is fine. However, the answer to the question depends on the size of the steak and its thickness. If your steak is 1-2 inches thick, you are looking at 1.25 - 3.5 hours of reheat time. Doable, but, not very convenient, especially if your kitchen in busy.

For my part, the question that I have is why would you want to reheat a steak in the first place? The meat should be removed from the sous vide when done, finished in a hot cast iron pan or better yet, over open wood flames and served immediately.

6. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That is absolute nonsense. It does not take hours to reheat a steak sous vide. Stop with that. It doesn't even take that long to COOK it in the first place. Maybe if you're talking about a cote de boeuf or something, but still not anywhere near 3 hours. You can re-therm a cote in like 45 mins, tops.

The gist of reheating is convenience and consistency. You can cook multiple steaks at a time, chill, and store in the fridge. Then re-therm them as needed for service, and finish as desired...like in a cast iron pan or a grill. There is no discernible loss in quality with this method.

If you cooked everything to order (which I'm sure some places do) then you'd need a water bath set to several different temps (one for steak, one for lamb, one for fish, etc). With cook/chill, you can cook ahead of time at desired temp, chill, then re-therm everything together (chicken and a beef, say) in a bath set to 125F and finish on the stove.

7. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    I think you could've found a more friendly and polite way to express your disagreement.

8. Lucusd88

Lucusd88

Exp:
    Sous
    Thanks guys, the main reason I want to reheat is to cut down on the wasteage of guessing how many steaks I'll need per service. The steaks are generally 1.5 inches thick. I also read somewhere that to use the reheat method you need to pasteurise the meat to 54c, is this true?

9. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Apologies, didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I was just gobsmacked at the time frames you posted.

You should pasteurize the meat, yes. This is pretty easily achieved. I would suggest you google the information, it's probably a little narrow for this forum--but the info is easily out there. Remember that pasteurization is a function of temperature over TIME, not just temperature. So if you cook your steak to 54c (to use your example) you need to not only have the core reach that temperature, you need it to stay there for X amount of time to hit the bacterial reduction levels you need.

The FDA guidelines are usually "instakill" temps, that is, they tell you to cook chicken to 165f for safety. At this temp the bacteria is killed instantly, so there is no real time component once you hit that temp. Obviously, if we sous vided at this temp we'd be wasting our time because it would have no benefit. Remember, again, pasteurization is a function of TEMP/TIME so you can achieve the same safety level at 140f as long as core temp is help for like 1.5 hours (that is just an example, not a reference).

But yes, you should familiarize yourself with the tables and make sure your sous vide SOP provides coverage for this. In my kitchen I made a chart for all the proteins we cook so that everyone knows the proper time/temp for each item. If I am cooking something new I make sure to do research and figure out the proper pasteurization method for it.

One additional benefit is this increases the shelf life considerably as well.

10. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    No feelings were hurt here. :) We all have our experiences and none of us know everything there is to know about food and cooking. With that being said, my experience with a sous vide in reheating chilled meat is that it takes a long time to reheat the meat to an even temp throughout. The thicker the meat, the longer it takes. This is why I scrapped using the sous vide for reheating steaks and stayed with preparing steaks to order. I offered strip @ 1-1.5inch, ribeye tomahawks @ 2+ inch and when the price was right, porterhouse at 1.-5 - 2 inch.

I would very much like to hear about your experience that differs from mine. Were you using a higher temperature to get faster results? Thinner steaks?

don rich likes this.
  11. chefandrewl

chefandrewl

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We sous vide our steaks and run similar times to sgsvirgil. Our 2 inch tenderloins go at 121F for about 210 minutes. We then blast chill them down 41F. We finish to order in hot cast iron with clarified butter about 3 minutes a side for medium rare with a 10 minute rest in 135F clarified butter.

don rich likes this.
  12. don rich

don rich

Exp:
    Beginner garde manger
    Uh pasteurizing? Guess I’ll go to micky d’s

13. don rich

don rich

Exp:
    Beginner garde manger
    KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!!!!!!!!!

14. don rich

don rich

Exp:
    Beginner garde manger
    You know West Point started this whole “boil in a bag thing “

15. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm confused, what exactly is your issue? What does mickey d's have to do with what we are talking about. It's OK to ask questions if you don't know what we are talking about just FYI.

16. don rich

don rich

Exp:
    Beginner garde manger

Reheating sous vide. I’d rather eat micky d”s

17. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You can go eat wherever you want.

Do you have anything to contribute? Any knowledge of what we are talking about? Have you ever done it?

18. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I agree with 99.99% of what "Someday" Says about Some Vide cooking and reheating. If I have a question on Sous Vide I would ask them.....Just Sayin'

19. don rich

don rich

Exp:
    Beginner garde manger
    Yes I have and yes I do and if you would read all the posts I did contribute. Sous vide I don’t think was made to be a time saving mechanism but another tool to use for a chef. For Army cooking and faster service I think degrades the food and profession.

20. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ok. That's not the discussion we're having here. I also don't recall anyone mentioning sous vide being a time saving mechanism, which it isn't.

If you want to have a discussion about the implications of sous vide vs degrading food culture feel free to start another thread and I'll join you there for some vigorous debate.