Reheating Hollandaise Sause

Joined Dec 7, 2010
I dont know what the redseal is. How much lemon juice or vinegar do you need to use per yolk to get the ph to a safe level?  

It was once common to reuse the butter for a couple days.  Break the sauce the next day and use the butter in the fresh batch.  Its important to use enough acid, and to use enough liquid to be able to get the yolks hot enough before they coagulate.  

Joined Aug 29, 2000
I'm a home cook. I've not been professionally trained. I also love Hollandaise so I figured out a way to make it without a lot of fuss.

1.  Choose a small, heavy sauce pan. Add enough water to come halfway up the side of a one or two cup Pyrex measure. Bring the water to a boil (without the Pyrex cup in it), then turn it down to a simmer,.

2. Put two egg yolks in the Pyrex measuring cup. Add 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (I like it tangy) and whisk to combine.

3. Melt 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) butter. Whisk the egg mixture while drizzling the hot butter into the cup.

4. Continue whisking; set the cup in the simmering water. Continue whisking vigorously until the sauce is thick. Remove from heat; add salt and pepper to taste, plus a shake or two of Tabasco sauce.

The trick is to never let the whisk stop moving! I've never had this sauce break. If it did, I'd hit it with the immersion blender.

Joined Feb 18, 2011
Hi,

If a sabayon sauce is properly cooked, it may be reheated in microwave on the lowest setting.  Heating for 30 second periods and stirring to distribute the sauce helps.  

An uneven microwave can overheat a portion of the sauce.

Tim

Latest posts

Top Bottom