Reheat meatballs

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by cosmicgirl, Nov 5, 2012.

1. cosmicgirl

cosmicgirl

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hate to use a microwave to reheat meatballs and have heard that some restaurants use a steamer for dry balls but I need to reheat balls in their sauce a portion at a time during off hours. Thought about boil bags, or is gentle stove heating & then covered in the oven 5 mins the way to go?! Want them to hold their shape, be moist, up to temp & be out quick'ish! Am I asking too much?!

2. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Why can't you hold them?

3. twyst

twyst

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Roast them off until just barely done then get them cooled and stored, then give them a few seconds in the deep fryer on pickup and youre good to go.  It works surprisingly well.  Dont sauce them til its time to plate.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  4. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....excuse me?  Did you just admit that you use the fryer for things like that?

OMG!

5. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Deep fryer version is Hash House style. You can keep them in sauce in steamtable or I have seen holding them in a pot on the stove set to simmer with tomato juice. I do not like microwave, it toughens them.

6. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Shallow pan fry.  That's code for deep fryer.

7. cosmicgirl

cosmicgirl

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I only hold them during main service - lunch and dinner, but during the afternoon or after dinner until about midnight I don't like to. Microwaves do make them hard plus I cook my balls in the sauce and want them to be sucking up all that goodness while in the fridge!
    Fryer doesn't appeal to me...
    No one likes the bag n boil idea?

8. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    How many meatballs are you selling in a shift? I don't see the problem with holding for a couple of extra hrs. Is there a point where they start to deteriorate from hot holding?

9. twyst

twyst

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Its a trick i learned in a really high end respected restaurant so dont knock it til you try it!    I was shocked when I saw them get dropped into the fryer too, but 20 seconds in a 410 degree fryer and they came up beautiful and golden brown.   A 400+ degree  fryer is also gaining a lot of popularity as a way to sear things like 72 hour sous vide short ribs etc as well since David Chang released his momofuku book a few years ago.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  10. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    I have seen them breaded as well as ravioli and deep fried

11. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Thanks for clarifying.........I suppose the fryers are kept just for these purposes and the oil changed and filtered regularly.

12. cosmicgirl

cosmicgirl

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't think they'll break down its just that I'm really strict about my 4 hour holding period and my team break down the holding stations at the end of each service. I like my system. Went to my friend who is the chef at the Wolfgang Puck bistro here and he says the bags work great on WP's goulash so I guess I've made my decision. Better go buy a decent vacuum sealer... So my next question will be... In another thread I guess! Thanks for the input, wish we could do this in real life over beer!

13. brandon odell

brandon odell

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Another easy way to do it is to put a single order in an omelet pan on the stove, cover with another pan (or even a lid if you have them), add a little water and reheat them in the sauce for 3-4 minutes. I don't like heating anything in plastic. Plastics break down with heat and release carcinogens into the food. Plastic should only be used for food storage, not cooking.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  14. chadateit

chadateit

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Why is it so difficult to just start em in a pan on the stove, baste with a little butter and drop in a blazing hot oven for a few minutes? Unless its a fast food place or the meatballs are meatloaf sized, it's a super easy pickup.

15. cosmicgirl

cosmicgirl

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Not at all fast food, no butter, kosher issues (big Jewish crowd) plus they are already cooked in their sauce. It's ok I've got it sorted now. Awesome company that makes SAFE boil in bags + vacuum seal = moist, quick, hot, fluffy balls. Thanks for all the help everyone.