refrigerating a fondant cake

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by sadie's mom, Sep 14, 2004.

1. sadie's mom

sadie's mom

Exp:
    Other
    Hi,

I was looking for some input on refrigerating a fondant covered cake. The cake is perishable and must be refrigerated. It will be 3-layers (16, 12, 8 the bottom being a dummy) and all dark multiple colors of fondant.

Will the colors bleed or could there be any other problems doing this? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Laurie

2. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Depending on the humidity, the fondant could become wet with condensation (of course, not on the dummy). A/C can help rid the air of moisture once you remove the cake from the fridge. It's not so much the refrigerator that makes moisture a problem, but the condensation that occurs afterwards.

3. sadie's mom

sadie's mom

Exp:
    Other
    Thank you!

4. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    If you're putting the cake in a commercial walk-in cooler it's probably a good thing to overwrap the cake with plastic wrap, keeping tha wet air away from the fondant.
    just a thought

5. sadie's mom

sadie's mom

Exp:
    Other
    Thank you, however I have decided to offer making the whole cake a dummy and then a "kitchen cake" for her to serve. The details are just too intricate and the colors too bold; only if she changes to a non-perishable cake will I do this.

AGAIN, THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!