Refried Beans Recipe?

Joined Feb 21, 2002
Does anyone have a good recipe to make refried beans like in the restaurants? I have a bag of pinto beans and I'm ready to do this from scratch.

Thanks

Joined Apr 19, 2001
What do you mean, 'like in the restaurants'? I've had refrieds 10 ways in 10 restaurants!

Basically you take your beans, soak 'em, drain 'em, cover 'em with water and maybe a whole peeled onion and whole peeled garlic clove or two, bring to a boil and simmer til beans are soft. Drain the water, but save it, and remove the onion and garlic.

Mash the beans with a potato masher if you want a sort of rough texture, or process in blender or food processor for a smooth bean. Add water to the consistency you want. Also at this point I usually add salt/pepper, chipotle chile powder or ancho chile powder, a little cumin, and maybe some garlic and onion powder.

Then heat shortening or lard (lard's authentic!) in a heavy skillet to a depth of about 1/2 inch, over medium or medium low heat. Add the beans slowly, so you don't spatter. Use a flat spatula to stir the beans around; just heat til they're warm and adjust seasonings. Be careful not to let the heat get too high; burned beans are a ***** to clean off the skillet!

Muy delicisioso!!!

Joined Dec 6, 2001
This recipe is from "Texas Home Cooking" by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison. I have made them 4-5times, they are easy and delicious, and the recipe comes from one of my fave cookbooks.

Refried Beans or Refritos

1/4 lard, bacon drippings or peanut oil
1 med. onion, chopped
2 minced garlic cloves
3Cups well-seasoned cooked whole pinto beans, plus 1C of cooking water
salt to taste
Mild cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese for garnish
minced fresh serrano or jalepeno for garnish

Warm the fat in a heavy skillet over med. heat. Stir in onions and garlic, saute till softened, about 3min. Add drained beans to the skillet and mash them with a potato masher, adding the cooking water, tablespoon at a time, until you reach a fairly smooth and moist consistency. Continue to cook, stirring up from the bottom with a spatula. Cook until the beans become a thick paste. Serve beans hot with cheeses and peppers for garnish.

Top Bottom