Refridgerating sandwiches-which bread is best

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by quince, Jul 30, 2013.

1. quince

quince

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi,

I often have sandwiches in the fridge for up to 8 hours. I always use bread from the same day, but the fillings are often chicken/beef/seafood that have to be kept cold.

I've noticed that Rye's and Sourdough's tend to become a bit chewy.

Which bread will 'keep' best, retaining most of it's freshness and texture?

Thanks

2. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Any bread will work well if... you assemble the sandwich in a specific way.

Bread - Marg/Butter - Leaf Lettuce - Moist Fillings - Sliced Cheese if appropriate, if not More Leaf Lettuce - Marg/Buter - Bread

This keeps the wet ingredients away from the bread - works great for any kind of "salad" sandwich.   Egg Salad, Tuna, Minced Ham, Shrimp, Chicken, whatever.

Then you take a small paper towel and wrap the sandwich with it - then plastic wrap.

Keeps the bread fresh and not soggy / chewy.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  3. quince

quince

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks for that.

Is there a way to avoid using a paper towel? It's got to look very presentable. I did read a few places that certain combinations of wheat/sourdough/seeds & grains fends better when refridgerated

4. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    WHITE BREAD  WHICH HAS BEEN SPREAD ON BOTH INSIDES WITH A DASH OF BUTTER OR MARGARINE TO REPEL MOISTURE OF SALADS

5. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You can roll the towel into thing long strips and make a seat-belt for the sadwich, holds it together and deals with any extra moisture.

Brown paper (not greased) would work also, maybe make a base or 'plate' for the sandwich to sit on out of a cheap paper plate?

Just something that will absorb moisture more readily than the bread.

6. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm guessing the OP is looking to display the sandwiches rather than store them, thus looking to avoid the paper towel approach.