Refreezing fish

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kevin20422, May 18, 2010.

1. kevin20422

kevin20422

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I bought a whole 15lb. box of cod on sale at the store for $60.  It was in the freezer at about zero and hard as a rock.  I found out it was what is called a blister pack and I could just drop it to break apart.  Anyway:

Last night I forgot and left it out, I just found it this afternoon dripping and thawed but with ice flakes between the layers still.

I think it stayed pretty cold in the center and have heard differing views on refreezing fish.

If I dont refreeze it could I cook it then refreeze it.

I have to waste $60 worth of Atlantic Cod, the box was labeled Peter Pan.

2. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    The top  and bottom layer is going to be iffy. As long as there are ice crystals in the inner layers it can most likely be put back in freezer.

but be careful when using.

3. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Having ice crystals and being frozen are not the same things.

Personally, I would, from a quality standpoint, cook all the fish and then refreeze it.

4. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I would remove all the fish, individually wrap them, put them on ice in a strainer pan and put more ice on top.  It should be good for 4-5 days.

Get some friends together and eat some fish.  :)

5. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Have been in this situation many times and never had problem as long as there was crystals. Keep in mind he is talking layered fish which could be an inch thick. If real thin I agree cook it. but if still semi frozen in center of layer I stick to, it can be refrozen.

6. mykeb2010

mykeb2010

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I recently had 30 pounds of haddock scrap that i accrued over a month. I used them in a gemilli and picatta pasta dish. It came out great and I made a boat load of $$$$. just a thought.

7. titomike

titomike

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The bottomline is...we've only been out of the trees for a millisecond and got here by eating the marrow out of a carcass we found in the hot sun of Africa so we're a bit hardier than we are led to believe....

As long as you're not trying to sell it...../img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

8. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    So, what are you saying, Titomike: that somehow or other home-cooks should hold themselves to a lower standard than professionals?

Not in my kitchen, thank you very much.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  9. titomike

titomike

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Technically, over the whole planet, they can, have & do...

Perhaps I was being too glib about "waste" in the OP...I just meant if you kill it you should eat it...spare a thought for the poor haddock and the hungry!  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lookaround.gif

10. kevin20422

kevin20422

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thanks for all your help.  You are a great group of individuals.

11. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    I did that with a big bag of matinara mix once - had been a really good price so grabbed lots.  Then proceeded to get distracted by phone, left it in car boot overnight,  Binned it. Rats /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif

Last edited: May 22, 2010