Refreezing cooked ribs?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by randomcook780, May 30, 2017.

1. randomcook780

randomcook780

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I want to start by saying I'm not the most experienced... I've worked in kitchens for about 5 years in all on and off, mostly just doing prep and on line.

Where I work (i won't say where) we precook our ribs, and then grill them to order, pretty standard. But our preps made to many because it has been really slow, and my manager asked me to repackage and refreeze our precooked ribs after 8 days in the fridge (2 days after our companies expiration)... I said I wanted nothing to do with it because if I was at home, I sure wouldn't do that and feed it to my kids. I guess I'm hoping someone more experienced than myself can tell me if they would be safe to serve, or if after over a week in the fridge they should cut their losses and be thrown out. Thanks for your help, I've searched all over online but couldn't find any trustworthy sources for an answer.

2. monfrompa

monfrompa

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Where I live (PA, USA) this would be against the Health Departments regulations. If our kitchen overprojects on something like this, we are inclined to experiment with throwing it in the freezer a couple of days in before we need to worry about foodbourne illness or losing much quality. This has worked quite well with things like lasagna, meatballs, and meatloaf and then we just thaw and reheat per order.

Personally, I wouldn't serve them to my own family either after 8 days.

3. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I think you'll see some controversy in peoples opinions. Technically, if food is heated back to an adequate temperature for an adequate amount of time, it would be pasteurized. Even the botulinum toxin is denatured at temperatures greater than 176F. So in my opinion, even if the food has spoiled, if it is pasteurized it should not pose an actual food borne illness threat based on my understanding.

That said, that's not what safe food handling rules allow and simply from a food quality standpoint pasteurized spoiled meat is still nasty!

4. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I think the OP already knew the answer from the forum.
    My concern with the post would be the method and procedure used. When you pre-cook the ribs, they need to go to 145 deg. internally. Then properly chilled and stored. with limited (out time @ room temp).
    Your terminology is 'grill to order', but that's actually reheating them. They now need to go to 165 deg. before serving.
    Personally, I don't think this method produces a quality product.
    Just my personal opinion.