Reducing braising liquid while cooking?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by french fries, Mar 1, 2018.

1. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I've always found it challenging to reduce braising liquid. Sure, instructions tell me to reserve the meat while I reduce the liquid... but if I do that the meat quickly becomes dried out. Some instructions recommend you reserve the meat with a little liquid.. but that little liquid doesn't really prevent the meat from drying out, and then when you add it back to your reduced braising liquor, it thins it out again a bit, which means you have to reduce more (longer) to get a similar result.

My conclusion was, early, that the best is to let the braise come down to room temp or even fridge temp (overnight) and then reserve the meat and reduce the liquid. But sometimes you cook for the same day...

So I've started doing this thing which ... well you all probably are going to think I'm crazy, but it's kinda something I never truly thought about, but just started doing... whenever I walk by the braise, I lift the lid, which has a large amount of condensed water underneath, and I wipe it out with a towel and place it back.

Now using this technique I can reduce the braising liquid during the cooking of the stew... and I get a LOT of water out.

Anyone has a better tip to share?

2. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    I do the same thing.....

3. C. Cortez

C. Cortez

Exp:
    Buffet, Short Order, Prep, Dish.
    It makes sense. That water will eventually drip back down and get back into the food. Sort of a "one drip foward, two drips back", scenario.

My thoughts are focused on that lid though. When you reduce something, you're evaporating out excess water. But for it to be a true braise, it has to circulate steam. (At least thats how I remember it).

If I were having this problem I would reduce the amount of liquid you start with in the first place. What is the reasoning behind your method?

4. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    There are two reasons why I like to use more liquid at the beginning of the cooking stage: one is to make sure everything is almost completely submerged, the other is, that liquid is flavor: wine, stock etc. Reduced wine or stock is more intense than simply using less wine or less stock.

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I braise the last hour with the lid askew.

6. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    ^^^ yep...or remove it completely.

7. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Me too...
    I start with the lid slightly open and if I think I have too much liquid I just take the lid off