red velvet cake

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by tipordie, Aug 8, 2005.

1. tipordie

tipordie

a friend i work with wants a red velvet cake for her birthday and it has fallen to me the be the baker .i could use a recipe and any helpful baker hints that anyone could give .
    i learned to make cheesecake here ,it only took 12 tries heh, before it came out right the first time ,wink wink,so ia mready to learn a new trick thanks bunches

2. coffeekitten

coffeekitten

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Red velvet is just a regular chocolate cake or devils food, what ever you like. The difference is the cocoa powder,

before dutched cocoa powder was available the acidity was so high it would react with the baking powder or soda in the cake turning it red. the dutching process reduced the acidity and stops the discoloration. Nowadays red velvet cakes are a reminicent novelty, usually just colored red with food coloring. You can still find undutched cocoa powder though. I'll get back to you on recipes.

coffeekitten

3. shaloop

shaloop

Exp:
    At home cook
    Red Velvet Cake

2 1/2 c flour
    1/4 c cocoa powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    1 1/2 c sugar
    1 c buttermilk
    1 c vegetable oil
    2 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tbsp vinegar
    1 oz red food coloring

Preheat oven to 350. Sift together dry ingredients into a large bowl. Stir together remaining wet ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well until smooth. Pour into 2 greased/floured 9" cake pans and bake for about 25 - 30 mins or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pans about 10 mins and then turn out onto racks to continue cooling. Once completely cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz (1 block) cream cheese
    1/2 c (1 stick) butter
    1 tsp vanilla
    4 c powdered sugar

Mix together until smooth and creamy

4. jiks

jiks

I am also interested in making Red Velvet Cake, but I am looking for a recipe that does not use all this food coloring. I've heard you can make it with beets - does any one have a recipe that uses beets - or does anyone know how to substitute the coloring - with beet juice or pureed beets? Please let me know, thanks a lot