Recreational Classes At Institute of Culinary Education

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by jte1130, Jun 27, 2005.

1. jte1130

jte1130

I've taken a few of the recreational classes at I.C.E. in NY. I thought they were well worth it and enjoyed them. I was wondering if anyone else has taken classes at I.C.E. and if so has anybody taken the knife skills classes?

2. markv

markv

I'm a graduate of ICE but I haven't taken any of the recreational division classes with the exception of food writing and the 6 week wine course that's free for students in the culinary program.

3. jte1130

jte1130

Hey Mark, thanks for the reply. As a graduate of the school what is your recommendation on a knife skills class? My main concern is keeping my knives sharp if I am going to go out and buy some better quality knives. Can I find the same skills in a book or online?

4. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I've taken lot's and lots of classes @ICE, including the first knife skills course. I loved playing in their big kitchens. Norman "The Knife Man" Weinstein will set you on the path to effortless knife use. I can't remember the last time I took my food processor out of the closet :)

5. jte1130

jte1130

Thanks Kyle. Is knife sharpening techniques one of the areas covered in the first knife skills class?