Chef Forum banner

recommendations for a Singaporean cookbook

32K views 44 replies 6 participants last post by  phatch 
#1 ·
Just looking for deeper info on the topic.

#11 ·
Yeah, I got them both a long while ago; right when they first came out, I think.

I found another book on Singaporean food in my library. It's called "Shiok!: Exciting Tropical Asian Flavors". I missed it the first time I looked from the nonspecific title.

This is pretty much a recipe book. But each recipe has a somewhat informative introduction, and the recipes are grouped into categories like Hawker Favourites, Peranakan Classics, Home-style Dishes, etc.

So if you were to study the recipes carefully, you can kinda get a good sense of what Singaporean cuisine is all about.

Unfortunately, I believe it's out of stock on Amazon.

#14 ·
Charmaine Solomon's book has a section of Singaporean cooking (and Indonesian, Malay etc).
I think the book also exists in subsections.
I find the recipes pretty good. There are not many pictures/photographs in the book.

#17 ·
I've been looking around amazon and came accross this series: "Singapore heritage cookbooks".
I thought they sounded pretty good, so I ordered one of the editions.
I can give you more feedback in a couple of weeks, if you want.

#22 ·
If you're a Kindle user, they have three of the books at a lower price.
Most reviewers say the formatting of this book series is all messed up on Kindle. The other 2 books got pulled off the Kindle from too many complaints.

I'm more epub focused though I theoretically know how to unlock the file and convert the format.
You lost me here. Haven't a clue what you are trying to say. o_O

#23 ·
I'm a nerd. My comment addresses the different container types that ebooks come in. To a large degree, once you remove the Digital Rights Management, that locks you into a Kindle or a Nook or a Kobo, you can then convert the container format to wh to what

#24 ·
Ingredient Uniqueness questions.

How does Singapore/Malay belachan/belacan compare to Thai belacan? Wikipedia is calling Thai shrimp paste kapi, but my Thai cookbooks usually call it belacan. Are they the same or close enough?

fish curry powder, I'm seeing this without clear reference. Google shows commercial varieties I can likely find and I'm seeing recipes. Anything I should particularly look for or a preferred recipe?

Black Bean Paste, I'm getting hints that this might differ from Chinese fermented black beans and the common variation black bean sauce with garlic in jars. I've seen a few suggestions of substituting miso instead which seems rather different to me.

#25 ·
Belacan, kapi, terassi and whatever you want to call it, are all the same and all different ;)
That's really an answer you can do nothing with, so a bit more:
They are all shrimp pastes and you can use whichever one you want or can get.
They are all slightly different, but that's even within the name group. Not all terassi's are the same. Same for kapi, same for belachan. It depends which part of the country (sometimes even town) they are made.
As far as I know Kapi is the Thai name, Belachan or belacan the Malay name (Terassi or trassi, the Indonesian name)

Fish curry powder:
I know nothing about it, so can't help.

Black bean paste:
I use the beans and crush them. In Indonesia they are called taotjo.
I find you can sub with black bean paste. It's a little different, but not enough to worry about

Hope that helps :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.