Reclassification?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by teamfat, Dec 10, 2014.

1. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    So in a friend of a friend deal I assisted with catering a 500 person company Christmas party.  Spent several hours outside cooking french fries.

I think the steam fogged my lens a bit. It wasn't bad, very glad it was a nice night and not a raging blizzard!

So does an evening of manning a fryer make me a professional chef now?

Actually I still don't have a job, hope the company uses me again in the next few weeks.

2. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    We can name you Friturier. But not a Chef, sorry. Not yet.

3. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Ha ha!

Seriously, I will never refer to myself as a chef. Had I stayed in the business since my restaurant days in the seventies, that would be different.

mjb.

4. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You mean they actually had restaurants in the 70"s /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

Just kidding, my first job in a restaurant was washing dishes way back in 1974.

5. jaynna

jaynna

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Sounds cool. I remember my first experience in the catering services in Brisbane. My friend and his team working in spits n pieces catering services in Gold coast were hired to cater a wedding. There were 100 people invited. One of the crew was absent that time so I volunteered to help since I've got nothing to do. I enjoyed thought the job was very tiring. It was just a sort of practice for my career. I'm planning to have my own restaurant in the future so I have to gain lots of experience. :) Yours is just a start. Keep your hopes up. :)

6. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Mine was busboy/dishwasher in 1973. Dee's Family Restaurant, on Main street and 4th South. Long gone, like The Winery which was the last place I worked. It was in Arrow Press Square next to The Dead Goat Saloon, which at the time was the best blues venue in the valley. Wish I had never lost track of my old knife.

mjb.

7. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Mine was at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, CO; where Stephen King stayed and got his inspiration for "The Shining". I was a Rocky Mountain National Park park rat who took a job washing dishes in order to support his backpacking habit.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  8. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I washed sausage making equipment in the basement of the Waldorf Astoria in NY when I was 16 years old.

9. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    My first job was in 1968 in Detroit.  I was a delivery guy for a carry out rib shack, but we all did prep.  Trim cases of ribs, pizza fixin's, cole slaw, chicken, fish, spaghetti, the whole nine yards.  I eventually moved into the kitchen full time and ran one of the stores a few years later.  I did that into my 20's then went to work in the machine/tool industry.  

10. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I tossed pizza in the late 80's.  I was quite good too.     Guess I was a pizzareur?   heh.. 

11. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Too bad we don't all have pictures from back in those early days - those could be fun to look at.

mjb.

12. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Chef Do you remember who the Exec was . Was it Eugene Scanlon, When I worked there it was George Blanc. they put me in the butcher shop 1958, on apprentice program from Union Local 6

13. chefboyog

chefboyog

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You guys both worked at the Waldorf Astoria in NY?? Jealous. That must have been amazing.
    What an awesome place I honeymooned there for a week would love to go back someday!

14. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I'm remembering 1969-1970-ish?

15. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Waldorf Chefs, do any of you know of Chef John Santi? maybe a little earlier 60's. My mentor on the savory side.

16. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Chef Ross  The 60 s chef was Scanlon he came from being sous at the Fountainbleu in Miami about 1964. He was an Irishman who was self taught French.  He later became  F&B  manager  and consultant. He lived near me In Forest Hills Queens.

17. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Thanks....you lived in Forest Hills?  Wow......I was in Flushing Meadows on Utopia drive.