Recipies from 1959

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by gkoziol, Mar 29, 2004.

1. gkoziol

gkoziol

I'm catering a party with a theme of 1959.

Is there a site that lists recipes from that year?

2. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Weird but interesting idea. Why 1959? Somebody's birth year?
    Anyway, you might have to go to a library that has old copies of magazines like Gourmet or look for cookbooks published in that year. Here's one I found: http://www.rubylane.com/shops/mandb/item/430

Also, The James Beard Cookbook was published in 1960, so the recipes in the book--as long as you are looking at that edition--would probably reflect 1959.

For really authentic 1959 cooking, you could look for community cookbooks from 1959. A good used bookstore will usually have a bunch of them, but you'll need some luck to happen on one for that exact year. ;)

Good luck! And please let us know what your menu turns out to be. :)

3. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
  4. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Oh my! Does it have such a huge archive?
    :eek:

5. latinstyle

latinstyle

For some years our house had a 1953 O'Keefe & Merrit stove (griddle in the middle, seprate oven and broiler compartments, complete with "Grill-evator" multi-position grill height adjuster). Incredibly, all of the original documentation - warranty, user's manual, and a COOKBOOK! - were all in their original envelope. One of my favorite recipes from the cookbook is SO RETRO it's a riot, and that's the recipe for tamale pie (by the way, the correct singular form of "tamales" is "tamal", not "tamale").

I don't have the stove or the cookbook anymore, but I did some searching around and found a recipe very close to what I remember was in the O'keefe & Merrit book. This is obviouosly a household-style recipe, so you'll need to extrapolate out your quantities. Here it is:

Tamale pie:

1 Heaping cup yellow corn meal
    1 Cup cold water
    3 Cups boiling water
    1 Teaspoon crushed garlic
    1 Pound of ground meat (preferably beef)
    1 Medium onion chopped
    1 Can whole kernel corn #2
    1 Can ripe olives, whole black olives
    1 Teaspoon chili powder, or more to taste
    1 Teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 Cans Tomato sauce

Mix 1 heaping cup yellow corn meal and 1 cup cold water, add 3 cups boiling water and 1 teaspoon garlic and bring to a boil.

Brown 1pound ground meat, 1 medium chopped onion, salt and pepper, 1 can whole kernel corn #2, 1 can olives, 1 teaspoon chili powder or more, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 2 cans tomato sauce.

Add corn meal mixture and cook on low 15 minutes. Turn into 2 qt. casserole and put shredded cheese on top and bake at 400 about 20 minutes.

6. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Unfortunately, you'll want recipes that use a lot of manufactured foods as ingredients: jelly, spam, "frankfurters", gelatin, canned soup, etc. Also they may make use of some equipment such as the chafing dish.

You'll get the picture here.

Good luck!
    Mezzaluna

7. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I think I just scared myself looking at some of those pictures!!!

8. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I thought the "Meat! Meat! Meat!" one was pretty bad, but I think the "More Knudsen's" one is really the scariest. :eek: And now I REALLY want to make a dinner party from it. (especially for my lactose intolerant friends :rolleyes: ) :D