Recipes from the box......REALLY what are your favs

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by shroomgirl, Sep 30, 2000.

1. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Pumpkin pie from Libbys pumpkin can
    Fantasy Fudge...hey, covered with toasted walnuts
    Quaker Oatmeal cookies with currants and orange zest thrown in
    *This is really gross and if you tell anyone I'll deny it but I love tuna noodle casserole with cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, peas, green onions tuna and noodles
    Shoot I do the grown up version and stick in dillweed and black pepper.

SOOOOO which are your favorite back of the box can package recipes....it's OK we all have comfort childhood favorites...

2. chefjohnpaul

chefjohnpaul

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Shroomgal, I like baked chicken and rice made with cream of mushroom and cream of celery soup. I also have to have kraft Mac N'Cheddar every once in a while, but I sprinkle it with imported smoked paprika from Spain, so I still feel like a gourmand..

3. cookm

cookm

I like tuna casserole with Velveeta. Except I can't eat fish anymore cause of an allergy. But I still think about it.

4. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Okay! I admit it. I love Kraft Mac & Cheese with a can of tuna and tons of Crystal hot sauce. As for Tuna Casserole, as long as it is topped with potato chips Im in.

5. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Kraft mac&cheese, with a little extra milk and soy sauce (fusion!). I'll eat tuna casserole only if my Mom makes it.

6. katherine

katherine

I make my Kraft macaroni and cheese up substituting sour cream for both the margarine and milk in the sauce, and adjust the seasoning with some sherry, a little white pepper and some nutmeg.

7. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Heavens are we really into Kraft Mac and chesse or what? We must all be sortof the same age and I guess that was what we were feed on busy nights.Kraft has a product noone has come close to replicating, is this blatant product endorsement or what.

I just remembered this is not off a pkg. but my mom used to spilt hotdogs top them with real mashed potatoes (no box) and a slice of cheddar then bake them....I make this 2-3xs a year when I really need a kid moment.

Pete, How could I have forgotten the chips on top....That is absolutely the best part.

8. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I second the Libby's pumpkin recipe, but I add more spices. Tastes like home to me! That tuna casserole sure sounds good....

9. chefjohnpaul

chefjohnpaul

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I think I may have to go to culinary theropy because I grew up in an Arab/American household and had Kraft Mac & Cheese but also veal spinal cord on Ritz crackers. IMO(imitation sour cream)/pinapple pie on a hideous store bought crust, but also raw calves liver on pita with red onion & mint. Armour Vienna sausages & Velveeta, but also lamb shanks braised in yoghurt with bulghar pilaf. I think this is enough to make anyones stomach churn............

10. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    boy aclamating to box food must have been difficult for your mom.....the spinal cord thing is really gross, is there a name for that.
    How about the ubiqutous green bean casserole with the fried onions on top...I didn't get this as a kid but it is a St. Louis fav...
    Not mine mind you I'll just do tuna casserole....hey does anyone remember spice cake with canned tomato soup or chocolate cake with mayo in it?
    What about King Ranch Casserole....canned soup chicken tortillas, chilis, cheese...creamy cheesey spicy corny chickeny casserole....What do you think will casseroles resurface or are they gone forever?

[This message has been edited by shroomgirl (edited October 02, 2000).]

11. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Casseroles will never die as long as there are Midwestern pot luck suppers! I think they're called 'hot dishes' in Minnesota, but they're quite popular here in the Badger State as well. The more exotic cooks actually use what are for them adventurous flavors, such as cumin! But you'll still find those canned soup and chow mein noodle dishes with water chestnuts, too. It's very entertaining trying to guess what's been combined in each one, and in what quantities. Ever eat a beef casserole with Coca Cola in it?? You'd never forget it....

12. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'll ditto most of those; didn't grow up with box mac and cheese but it's a quick easy fix with some grown-up additions...

Tuna casserole always a favourite--if--it has the potato chip topping. Speaking of will they rise again? Look how many chef's are doing just that-(sorta). There are so many "grown up versions of mac and cheese out there and I have seen several variations on the tuna noodle casserole idea (using fresh tuna with a homemade mushroom sauce).

Shroom Girl - my mom did the hotdog thing with mashed potatoes too; only we top 'em with peas and parmesan...

One of my favourites was a mandarin jello salad. I think it was clear gelatin with mandarin juice, cottage cheese and cream cheese "squished" in the blender and of course manadrin oranges. It was always a sign of spring!

I recently did a family cookbook with all the "faves" and traditional recipes in it -- its funny how many of them start with a can of soup! It's funny- we've always gone to Grandma's house for Christmas and always had the same menu: 1st night Kielbasa w/sauerkraut and real italian sausage and homemade spaghetti sauce (got to get in all the ethnic background); macaroni and cheese and the start w/ a can of mushroom soup-green bean casserole! etc.

But how good the idea of all of these make you feel...

13. chefjohnpaul

chefjohnpaul

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Shroomgal, I had that greenbean crispy onion cassarole at my sister-in-laws this weekend, it had mushroom soup and waterchessnuts in it. I don't mind the green beans that overcooked if there are gooey and creamy, YUM! The spinal cord thing I believe is my Mom's idea of a canape.

14. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Well you know don't mess with a good thing.

I wonder where that hot dog idea came from.

My dad was in the Air Force during Moon Shots
    so I got space sticks, dehydrated foods, etc...

Mom made alot of pate choux and stuffed um with tuna or crab.
    Do you guys remember eating dried beef with cream on toast?
    Or stuffed tomatoes with tuna salad
    Or yes Jello with pretzels, cream cheese and strawberries or apricots.
    Jello cooked pudding....
    We never did the hamburger helper but I vaguely remember shake and bake chicken.
    Potlucks...I grew up Lutheran and they were a definate staple at our church. Boyscouts are also big into that. Unidentifiable foods
    ooooo it's amazing there have been so few deaths atributed to church suppers.

15. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Duh!!!! Rice Crispy treats, Tollhouse cookies, Hello Dollies, those butterscotch peanut butter chinese noodle marshmellow thingys ohhhhh so yucckkily wonderful
    Don't pratice this on a regular basis but they sure are great when they come around....Who could think up chocolate chips, butterscoth chips, nuts, grahm crackers butter and sweetened condensed milk....ohhhhhhhhhh it's overload to think about it.

[This message has been edited by shroomgirl (edited October 05, 2000).]

16. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Do bags count?

Krunchers - jalapeno
    Pepperidge Farm cookies

17. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Wellll not really the topic is recipes off of cans and boxes and bags...not just junk food consumed after opening....

18. wambly

wambly

Key lime pie ...
    recipe came off of a can of Carnation sweetened condensed milk.

19. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Good one!

20. cookm

cookm

How about that dip that everyone used to make with Lipton's (I think) onion soup? I think I still like it!