Recipe request: pan sauce for bison steak

Joined Mar 21, 2008
A friend of mine I do some computer programming for sent me a early Christmas present of bison ribeye, NY strips, sirloin, and filet. I am going to have friends over for a Christmas dinner and need to come up with a pan sauce for the steaks(making the filets because I have 8 of them). Alcohol free because I don't keep anything in the house since I quit drinking(can react with my pain meds, bad thing). I have the typical soy, Worcestershire, butter, etc. and a fairly well stocked spice shelf. One thing I have to avoid is horseradish, they hate it! Any ideas are welcome.

Joined Aug 25, 2009
Mushroom Sauce ?

Mary, I love to add wine or bourbon or other alcohols to most of my dishes but you can certainly make this one without it. It has a nice earthy overtone and pairs well with your meat.

2 tsp oil
2 cups of thinely sliced chanterelle mushrooms (or your choice)
¼ tsp salt
1/8 tsp fresh black pepper
2 small garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp (or more) of tomato paste
2 cups of beef broth
1 Tbsp fresh minced parsley
1 tsp fresh minced thyme
1 tsp AP flour
1 Tbsp chilled butter

Joined May 29, 2006
Petals ""in leau of vino, try a bit of good Balsamic Vin. It usually works well and cuts game taste besides.

Joined Mar 21, 2008
This bison is far from gamey, more like a lean very rich beef. Mushroom sauce would work, they are both mushroom lovers. Thanks for the idea! :smiles:

Joined Mar 21, 2008
Christmas get together is on hold, 14-20+ inches of snow in the next 2 days means staying indoors and off the roads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom