Recipe needed badly!

Joined Aug 22, 2002
I found this site in hopes that someone can furnish me with a recipe for candied okra. Any suggestions, ideas, recipes, or just a good guess would be very much appreciated!:confused: :confused:

Joined Dec 30, 1999
Any background information on why you're looking for this? Family member wanting it? etc... Have you had it yourself? Would you like it to be like pickled beets?

Joined Aug 22, 2002
I AM LOOKING FOR A RECIPE FOR CANDIED, OR SUGARED OKRA. THIS IS NOT LIKE A PICKLED OKRA, BUT MORE LIKE A CHEWY, SUGARED TREAT, MUCH LIKE CANDIED CITRUS PEEL. IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFORMATION I WOULD APPRECIATE IT.:lips:

Joined Dec 12, 2000
Could you make it using the same process used for making candied ginger ??.

Joined Aug 22, 2002
I'm not sure. I've never made the candied ginger, but if it involve boiling in water I'm afraid the okra wouldn't hold up under the process. I might be able to modify the process somehow, though. Thanks for your interest.:D

Joined May 26, 2001
You might do better with this request if you posted it in either Cooking Questions or Recipe Exchange. This is just where you introduce yourself, we say Welcome, and then we all exchange personal pleasantries. ;) Serious queries have other places that work better on these boards.

When you do post in one of those places, it might help if you let us know where you heard about such a thing; sounds pretty unusual to me!

Joined Dec 30, 1999
I'd just experiment using a candied zest recipe. I don't see why the okra wouldn't hold up, you don't have to cook it until it get's mushy...

Joined Dec 30, 1999
Candied Okra

5 1/2 lbs okra
4 1/2 cups cider vinegar
4 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
2 TBS mixed pickling spices
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 TBS pickling salt (optional)

Wash the okra and cut off the stems.
Combine the remaining ingredients in a medium-size saucepan and bring to a boil.Meanwhile, tightly pack the okra in clean hot pint jars. Pour the hot syrup over the okra, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Seal. Process in a boilong water bath or steam canner for 10 minutes.

Comments:
Use small okra, the size to fit easily into the pint jars.
Can omit salt for low salt diet but salt adds depth and enhances flavor if you use it.
AS with all pickled products, let sit to develop full flavor.

Pickels and Relishes by Chesman

:bounce:

Let us know how it turns out! Are you making this for someone special?

Joined Sep 17, 2002
Hmmm candied okra , I would think if you sliced it down and then dipped it in sugar cooked to the hard crack stage you would have instant candied okra the only problem would use it asap.
The other method would be to poach the okra in a heavy syrup intil translucent and then dry it in sanding sugar and let it dry on a rack similar to making candied ginger, if you do the poaching method i would flavor the syrup with some cayenne just to make thee flavor a bit more rounded, let me know how you make out

Top Bottom