Recipe ideas for James Martin competition?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by recipestudent82, May 23, 2012.

1. recipestudent82

recipestudent82

Exp:
    At home cook
    So I'm entering a recipe competition to win a 5* cooking lesson with James Martin himself! (my fav chef) but the recipe needs to be from Spain, the Caribbean, Italy or Greece. I've got a few recipes I'm quite famed for by now but I don't feel like they're original enough, any tips on unusual but tasty ingredients from Greece or the Caribbean maybe? Creating a recipe from ingredients I've never used before may be fun :)
    https://www.facebook.com/thomascook/app_360473824011628

2. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Welcome to Cheftalk

I see your far from a recipe student, congrats on the competition. I thought i would just put a few ideas up in the air.

You have too many choices to pick from.  From what I read two of his favorite things to cook with are Lurpak butter and bacon. Yes/no ?

Carribean : the flavors of Creole and French food.....

Pepper pot stew, callaloo soup (with your own twist),

Make  a dish using cassava, taro, sweet potatoes, or better yet, breadfruit.

Fish: you can make wonderful dishes with codfish, flying fish, kingfish, mahimahi

What about conch ? Tenderize it, add cucumber, chiffonade of greens with a  3 citrus drizzle served in a 1/4 pomelo skin. Conch fritters with a special dipping sauce

Snapper: 2 ways: sweet lime zest/salty plum

Shrimp creole ? Serve with long deep fried plantain chips as a garnish

A stew fusion  incorporating tastes from different fish and spice blends.

Secret ingredient ? cassareep, bhandania

I don’t think you will have any problems, you have a list of great dishes you already make.

I wish you all the best.

Petals.

3. rbandu

rbandu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I actually entered a recipe myself.  Consider chilies for the Caribbean, olives from Greece.  As I understand a lot of Greek food is local, so maybe octopus would be a main ingredient. Good luck with that.  :p

Last edited: May 23, 2012