recipe for chile relleno

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
While Poblanos are the most traditional, Anaheims make a good relleno as well. I can find Anaheims easily. Poblanos take some driving and seasonal timing.

Phil

Joined Feb 13, 2008
Wendy's recipe is very much what we see in real Mexican restaurants (as opposed to restaurants oriented to the gabacho clientele) in SoCal -- and it doesn't get more Mexican anywhere than here. Or, for that matter, Chicago. Lovindewgirl's recipe resonates too. Not to take anything away from Bayless, or the other mavens of cocina Mexicana but the everyday foods tend to be simpler than the en nogada (walnut) recipe or the Zarela Martinez recipe. While those dishes may be "authentic," they're more high-zoot than typical. It all depends what you're looking for: What Mexicans eat at home, or what they eat when they go out to high-end Mexican restaurants in Mexico, or Chicago. Oddly, we don't see much of that here. The trends in SoCal Mexican restaurants seems to be regional cooking, and mariscos (sea food). There also seems to be a strong orientation to the ethnic customer. That may be more pronounced in the San Gabriel Valley where I live, though.

Lovindewgirl caught the type of sauce usually used for chiles relleno in northern Mexico which is where so many of our immigrants originate. That is, a basic ranchero. Which means a farm-style tomato sauce. If you're not looking to go fancy, you could do worse than opening a can of red enchilada sauce. Saute a few onions, cut lyonnaise with a few strips of green pepper, and when they're sweated, dump the enchilada sauce on top. Thin it with a little broth or water or beer. Want to go crazy and cook it just like mama used to? When it's simmering, add a few chicharrones (fried pork rinds) and simmer until they're very tender.

A lot of what and how depends on what kind of access you have to Mexican markets. Here in SoCal people use poblanos and anaheims, and all kinds of cheese. There are a lot of Mexican cheeses that work, and a lot of American and European cheeses, too. If it melts, it can't be bad. But when it's all done, try crumbling some cotijo on top.

BDL

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I know that this an old thread, but I just came back from the green-grocer and they had Hatch Chiles, mild, medium and hot, fresh from New Mexico.  I asked the guy not to fire roast 4 nice and straight chiles for me.

I really wanted to try a Chile Relleno but not with Montrey Jack cheese.

What is the name of the Mexican cheese that is used? 

Where we are, there are many different cheese, but I am not familiar at all with them.

Could someone help me out?

Joined Jan 4, 2011
Chihuahua cheese or queso Chihuahua. It's generally more expensive and doesn't really act or taste any different from any ordinary good mozzarella that will probably be half the price.

Latest posts

Top Bottom