Real Mashed Potatos

Joined Feb 8, 2001
I've just started working as a banquet chef. There are a few changes I want to make and one of them is making real mashed poatatos. They use the cheapest instant and I can only doctor them up so much and it's not helping much. What are the quickest ways on preparing the real thing and what type of appliances do I need.

Joined Dec 8, 1999
If you have a convection steamer available, that would be quickest. That and a mixer and you are set.

Joined Oct 12, 1999
I agree! I like to steam potatoes also! You end up with a more dryer potato for mashing or whipping. I like to alter the flavors sometimes, if I have the chance to. I have been taught Lemon-Basil Mashed potatoes, Pesto flavored mashed potatoes, but I ease up on the olive oil, because the potatoes tend to break with the usual amout of olive oil you put in a pesto (I found out the hard way)or you could use whole butter instead. Are you looking for different preparations?

Joined Mar 13, 2001
I second that. I steam my potatoes all the time for mashed. Have you tried cooking the potatoes with a few cloves of garlic? Then finish them with white truffle oil! ;)

Joined Jul 18, 2000
might need a king sized mouli - mashed pots with roasted garlic and rosemary infused olive oil (instead of cream/milk/butter), lots of cracked pepper salt.

Joined Mar 9, 2000
Baqueteer,

Here is a recipe that might work for you. Adjust as needed.

* Exported from MasterCook II *

Mashed Potatoes

Recipe By : John Paul Khoury, CCC
Serving Size : 5 Preparation Time :2:00
Categories : Side Dishes

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------

5 pounds russet potatoes -- peeled, raw
1 pint heavy cream -- warmed (+-)
1/2 pound butter -- room temp (+-)
3/8 teaspoon nutmeg
4 ounces sour cream -- (optional)
kosher salt -- to taste
white pepper -- to taste
1 cup water -- boiling

Boil potatoes until tender. Whip the potatoes in a mixer if you have one. The potatoes should have enough residual heat to melt all the softened butter, along with the cream. Add nutmeg.Boiling water.Season. The boiling water helps the potatoes not to solidify
as they sit.

You may also roast garlic and add later or add flavored oils and/
or herbs for a varience. How about some roasted red peppers?

Perhaps add buttermilk instead of sour cream or some cream cheese, hey experiment and enjoy! Potatoes should be soft and creamy, you may adjust with a little hot cream.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Joined Jul 31, 2000
It seems in this day and age there are a million ways to smash the spuds..I love all kinds of variations,But Greg gave you the best advice, Convection steamer and a mixer,Bingo..what kind of spud and flavorings you use are almost endless. Two small pints,try to use a meduim starch potato and try to mash them as dry as possible. Yukon and lobster mash with roast rack of veal with spring morels Yummm :) :) :)
cc

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
MIxers work well if you have to make many pounds of mashed potatoes, but for smaller batches I use a food mill with a med. grate. The one thing to be careful of when using a mixer though is not to over mix them or they will turn out like glue. Also after you add your cream and butter only mix until it is fully incorporated as the cream and butter help develop the gluten and again you will and up with glue.
As a sidebar, what kind of potato does everyone like to use for their mashed? I have used both yukons and idahos. The yukons will give a creamier mashed with more flavor, but a denser texture. The idahos tend to make a fluffier mashed which I find I can add more butter to, making for a richer flavor. What do you all think?

Joined Sep 22, 2000
banqueteer,

I think, the type of equipment or the type of client will/can dictate your needs.

For example; We deal with an upscale clientele, we can do from 2ppp to 3500 ppp. If we are doing 2ppp, potatoes goes on the stove in a pot and mashed by hand or the Kitcken Aid. If we are doing 50ppp, the potatoes can go in the steamer and mashed by the hobart mixer. If it is 3500ppp, the potatoes goes into the steam jacket kettle and mashed also in the hobart.

D.Lee

Joined Mar 9, 2000
Question for Pete.

Please clarify. How much gluten, if any, is present in potatoes and I was always under the impression that fats shortened gluten strands instead of developing them.

I agree that potatoes can get pasty but have only had the problem when working them while cold. When spuds are hot, after adding the cream and butter, I add a little boiling water at the end of whipping and they stay consistant over a longer period.

If anyone has broken down the 'pastey principal', please share!

Joined Aug 11, 2000
during Trial and error stage in using various equipment to "mash" potatoes, cuisinart makes paste, not sure why, just know it's nasty....figure it's just an overworking of the potatoes
Using hot water in hot emulsions keeps them from separating guess that's the same mindset as adding it to taters.

kc

Joined Sep 27, 2000
My understanding is that potatoes become pasty or glue-like when the starch is broken down by excessive mashing (think about wallpaper paste). Therefore, it's easier to produce glue using a Cuisinart or electric mixer than a ricer or your mom's antique potato masher.

Joined Feb 8, 2001
Thanks everyone...I start this week with the real potatos. I have the steamer and the hobart...So easy...I can't go for the sand in a box anylonger.

Joined Mar 9, 2000
Hey, they instant make a nice extender if you happen to add too much liquid to the real potatoes, a little instant into the HOT mix will tighten them up. (last minute fix it)

Isn't this a great resource for chefs? ChefTalk is the place!!!!!!!!!

Joined May 6, 2001
To answer Afra's question:
Yes, they are "real" potatoes. They are processed(freeze dried) so that they have a long shelf life. I wouldn't use the boxed potatoes (au gratin, etc.) because of the dry ingredients or seasoning packet that comes with it. It contains salt, ALOT of it, and other preservatives, and food colorings and additives. Fresh is always best, IMHO.

[ June 01, 2001: Message edited by: Svadhisthana ]

Latest posts

Top Bottom