reading?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by seanglavinga, May 15, 2002.

1. seanglavinga

seanglavinga

im looking for books to read im already halfway through the new making of a cook (madeline kamman) and i was told to get the new profesional cook (CIA), and forgive my spelling but laftique gastromonique(wish i knew it for real) but are theire any other things i need to read, i have also read becoming a chef and culinary artistry (cant thing of the guys name)....is thier any books by this escoffier(spelling again) the one that made the list of mother sauces and what not?....... thanks

2. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    I know others with extensive cookbook and culinary reference collections are gonna be comming soon so Ill just get my recommendations out of the way.

Harold McGee: On Food & Cooking
    CIA: The New Professional Chef
    Auguste Escoffier: Le Guide Culinaire (better know as Complete Guide to Modern Cookery
    Larousse Gastromique
    Michael Ruhlman: The Making of a Chef & The Soul of a Chef (both paperbacks)
    Sarah R. Labensky & Alan M. Hause: On Cooking

Add any other reference book you come across with a subject you would like to learn more about. I have a ton of books and the darn things seem to be multiplying like bunnies. Also try doing a search of ChefTalk to find other threads on book recommendations. The search button is way on top of the ChefTalk Pages. Button number 6.

Jodi

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sean, check out the Book Forum. There are lots of recommendations there.

4. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You've got an impressive jumping off point with all the great books (BTW, "Laftique" gave me a chuckle - thanks for starting my day with a smile... :) ).

Please don't make the mistake of thinking that simply reading these wonderful books is going to make you a great cook. You need to apply these techniques to truly learn them. I don't know how far you are into your studies but the culinary arts definitely demand "hands on" learning. While you're reading up with one of these great books, if a technique intrigues you, grab whatever you need to try it out and head for the kitchen.

Reading is a great way to round out your knowledge base, but actually performing the tasks described in the book with give you tactile memory and hone your technique.

5. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    And trying out the techniques will give you lots of great, funny cooking stories.

Definately browse the Book Forum though. This question has been asked before. Ive found lots of books to add to my collection browsing the lists.

6. seanglavinga

seanglavinga

thanks for the advice, and yea that "laftique" was just a complete guess i had no idea but i knew it was the gratrominque part, also i just got my knives (like 30 minutes ago :D) and as i get further into my book that im reading right now i will prolly do the techniques in the kitchen............reminds me i gotta get a wooden cutting board all we have is marble ones for some reason.......anyway im only 16 so im not far at all in my studies the books ive read so far are all on cooking schools, the new making of a cook is the first one thats a cookbook perse, so ill be in the kitchen alot soon, and to add onto the that i got my first REAL cooking job not at some burger place but a REAL one at a 3-star restaurant :D so im not doin bad i would say but for surei ll be tryin things i see:chef:

7. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hello Sean,

Having had the honor of studying under madeileine Kammen, I can say with confidence that her works are fantastic.

Please look for " becoming a Chef" by Dorenberg& Page, with a forward by Madeileine. I found this book so much fun to read....brings it all right home for you.

Enjoy reading what inspires you, the written word, blooms the spoken word that will eventually culminate in your desire to grow with confidence.

8. seanglavinga

seanglavinga

ive read it and i agree its a great read, you should also read culinary artistry by the same two, its a great book that tells seasons for food s and what food go good with, was a good thing for people like me =)