Chef Forum banner

Reading recipes.

7K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  butzy 
#1 ·
I was digging through recipes a while back and came across a pack of dough and baking recipes. They're not written in basic everyday recipe format that I now have become use to reading. With the measurements telling cups, tbsp or Tsp. And I have not had to use this in a while and was hoping someone could give me a quick breakdown on how to read these again. The one I am using for example is a Pizza Dough recipe.

Amount Item
3-10 Water
0-1.5 Yeast
6-0 Bread Flour
0-1 Salt
0-2 Sugar
0-4 Olive Oil
Method-Straight dough method.

Would appreciate if anyone could give me a breakdown on proper way to read these recipes again. All i could remember was it is in weight. But in all the recipes even ones using liquids it is same format. I am not really clicking on if thats correct since measuring liquids in weight does not seem correct.
Thanks again.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure at all but I will give it a bit of a try:
If they are weight, it could be proportions.
A fairly standard recipe would have 60-65% water as compared to flour, about 1.5-2% salt
Maybe first figure pounds, second ounces?
Haven't worked it out as I am imperially challenged....

#6 · (Edited)
Haven't worked it out as I am imperially challenged....
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but sometimes I just can't help myself. Feel free to ignore me, my wife does, ...but what is the correct way to weigh whey? The English language is a close second to the Imperial and US customary measurement systems in being challenging. :~)

#5 ·
I would.
Just put a vessel/cup/container on the scale. Zero the scale and of you go.
Weighing is very accurate.
You could go by volume as well. Easy for water In the metric system. 1 litre water equals 1 kg. This does not apply to other liquids like oil though.
But why would you want to?
I would recommend weighing, esp for baking

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.