Re-season carbon steel pan

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by totte, Aug 4, 2016.

1. totte

totte

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Hi, my seasoning is all broken on my carbon steel pan (DeBuyer, my first carbon steel pan.)

What's the "best" and easiest way to remove the current left-overs of the seasoning and start all over again? Anything I should keep in mind? Is it better to use a gas stove rather than electrical one when re-seasoning it or does it not matter?

2. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Carbon steel pan seasoning isn't like cast iron seasoning, the metal is less porous & doesn't absord the seasoning the same way. You don't need to strip it. Just wash the pan and reseason. Frankly, I just heat up oil in mine on the stovetop, wipe it out with a paper towel, and let it cool. You can do that every time you wash it.

3. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I prefer using salt and/or a stainless steel scrubber for cleaning all of my CS pans and woks.  The last step is to deposit 2 to 3 drops of oil and some salt and rub it with a paper towel and finally rinse and dry.

4. happyhound

happyhound

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Salt, oil and steel wool for that non-stick finish. Heat oil and salt in pan until very hot. Wipe clean and cool. 0 grit steel wool followed by 00 grit. Wipe clean, oil and store until ready to use.