Chef Forum banner

Re-Rack

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  phatch 
#1 ·
With my dishwasher closing on 11 years of use, the racks have started showing rust issues. Replacing the racks was close to $400.00.

I recalled my dad once doctoring the dishwasher racks with some compound and went looking. Home Depot was a strike. Lowes had some under the brand Re-Rack.

Trimmed off the cracked nylon coating, steel wooled the rust and coated with re-rack according to directions. Applied multiple coats and let dry overnight.

Has held up well  so far--about a month. For the cost and time involved it would be well worth it even if it only lasts a few months but reports online seem to indicate better life than that.

Better to catch the rust early and keep your racks healthy.

#2 ·
 Although i have used and sold the re-rack kits before, if you have used the kit that contains little nipples for recovering the tine tips they often fall off and cause problems in the pump. So just keep an eye on that and you should get a bit more use out of your machine, you can often go years. 

Another thing you can look for is a set of used racks. Appliance repair guys always save those things cause they new ones are so expensive. You may not find an exact match, but a set from a machine of the same make and vintage will fit and perhaps be even nicer than the ones you have. 

#4 ·
A one year update.

Rust cracks started showing up at about 6 months. I put off tweaking it and have gone another 6 months. Even now the failure of the rerack doesn't compare to the what I was patching a year ago so it holds up respectably. I'm able to use the rest of the initial bottle for this patch as it didn't dry out.

Definitely a worthwhile product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.